CHAPTER ONE: LEXI

Congrats on getting first chair again.

I tried the words out in my head, attempting to figure out the perfect line to finally get a conversation started between me and my long-time crush, Harrison Carter.

When Mrs. Willis moved me up to second chair trumpet this morning, you would have thought I'd won the lottery with how excited I was. I knew I'd had no chance at getting first chair, since Harrison was amazing, but second chair was just as good because it meant I got to sit by him. My hands had been shaking ever since I'd caught a whiff of his cologne, and I'd been trying to think of reasons to scoot my chair a smidge closer to him.

I like your new haircut.

I shook my head. That was stupid. He'd think I was totally oblivious since he'd gotten the haircut sometime between Monday morning band and Tuesday at lunch where I'd stared at him and wished I could run my fingers through his blond spikes and smooth them down to the soft curls he'd had the day before. He looked good with the new haircut—it was hard to ruin perfection—but I missed the cute head flick he used to do to keep his hair out of his eyes.

Harrison finished putting his trumpet back in the case and was latching it shut. I needed to hurry and say something now or I'd miss my chance until next week.

Say something.

Anything.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

His gaze, which had been on his trumpet case, lifted to my face at the exact moment that I was sitting there like a fool with my mouth hanging open.

"Any fun plans for the weekend?" he asked me in his ultra-smooth voice.

Now would be a good time to look like you have a brain, Lexi.

I managed to close my mouth but still stared blankly at him like I didn't know how to talk.

His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed. He probably regretted saying anything to me.

What had he asked me again? I'd gotten too lost in his blue eyes to comprehend his question.

Oh right. Weekend plans.

Was he asking because he wanted to ask me out? My hands felt sweaty with the thought. I didn't go on dates. My dad barely let me talk to my brother's best friend Noah without making me feel like I was committing some sort of crime. If my dad ever found out I was thinking about dating actual guys instead of just crushing on them from a distance, I was sure he'd lock me up, or at least put a tracking bracelet on me to make sure I didn't end up like my sister.

"I don't have any plans set in stone yet," I finally managed to say, my voice only coming out slightly breathy.

If you ask me on a date and make all my dreams come true, I'll definitely say yes!

"Cool."

I waited for him to ask me his next question, but instead he took the band folder off the music stand we now shared and shoved it under his arm as if he was about to leave.

Desperation crashed through my veins. I couldn't let him leave me yet. Not when this was the longest conversation I'd had with him all year.

I cleared my throat. "W-what about you? Any fun plans?"

He shrugged. "I was thinking about going to the new Justin Banks movie tonight."

Justin Banks movie? I jogged my memory, trying to figure out which one he was talking about.

"Is that the one where the alien saves a small town from his alien family?" I adjusted my glasses—a nervous tick I needed to get rid of.

"Have you seen it?" Harrison's eyes lit up, and it felt like hitting the jackpot because I had made his eyes do that.