Chapter Five

Thank you all for waiting so long for this update! I take forever, I know. ☺ But, I hope you all like this chapter and please, please vote and comment!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Pari,” a voice called her name softly from behind. Gasping, Pari turned and nearly collided into Aaryan. Her face turned hot as she realized her hands were braced on his chest. Fumbling, she quickly moved away, ignoring the small smirk she glimpsed gracing his lips as she did.

“Uh, sorry,” he said, his mouth losing its subtle smile as he cleared his throat. Pari swallowed and nodded, wishing he’d take a few steps back and give her room to breathe. She felt like she was suffocating, like someone was holding a strong, cold hand around her neck and tightening it slowly. This feeling wasn’t unfamiliar. It had begun soon after it had happened. After that day, if she was ever near a man, her throat began constricting and she felt like she had to gasp for air unless she got away. Or unless the man did.

And, at the moment, the man in question showed no signs of moving back, so Pari decided to move around him herself. She kept her gaze down as she hurriedly shuffled past him towards the kitchen doors. She could feel him turning, his eyes following her as he took a step forward, as if to follow her.

“Wait,” he said suddenly, halting her steps. She didn’t turn, only looked over her shoulder and gestured for him to continue with a small nod.

“Uh, um, we’re all going out. To the bazaar. We were wondering if you wanted to come,” he said, arching an eyebrow expectantly. Pari turned to face him.

“M-me?” she asked, surprised they would be willing to herd a clueless tourist around with them. “I…I’m not—”

“Oh, come on, Pari,” Aaryan said, walking toward her. Pari took a step back. “It’ll be fun. Besides, don’t you need new clothes?” He eyed her outfit with amusement, making panic fill Pari’s throat again. Her cheeks flamed as she looked down at her faded blue shirt and cotton pajamas.

“I—okay,” she muttered after a moment, her shoulders sagging in defeat. “I guess. Sure.”

She glanced at Aaryan, who grinned and said, “Good. Now, hurry up. We’re waiting outside. And, uh, don’t worry about changing. My Mother and sister both have great taste. I’m sure they’ll help you find something you’ll like. And, while we’re out, we can show you around the city, too.”

Pari nodded and gave him a small smile as he started to leave, grinning at her before turning and disappearing around a corner. She let out a relieved sigh after he was gone and surveyed the kitchen. She had been debating what to have for breakfast when Aaryan had walked in, and now she decided to skip the meal altogether. After all, she didn’t want to take too long and irritate anyone.

Taking a deep breath, she turned and followed the path Aaryan had taken out of the kitchen and into the foyer. Outside, the air was hot, sticky, and disgustedly humid. Pari couldn’t help but gasp at its intensity. She hadn’t been in it for more than a few seconds and she could already feel her clothes beginning to cling to her, dampened by the moisture in the atmosphere.

The doormen acknowledged her with quick, polite nods as she walked down the steps. She jumped at the sight of them, having forgotten her relatives had any. Turning away from them after returning a courteous nod, Pari shifted her attention to the sleek, black car that stood poised in the driveway at the foot of the stairs, glittering under the blazing sun.

One of the tinted windows in the back rolled down, revealing Jhanak’s beaming face, half-hidden under a pair of large sunglasses. “Good morning, sleeping beauty. I see you’ve finally decided to join us,” she teased, pushing her glasses up onto her head. Her eyes, Pari noticed, had been rimmed with thick, black eyeliner and coated with mascara, bringing out their rich color.