Chapter Thirteen - Little Black Dress

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Little Black Dress

"Have you tried this cake?"  Rose asked, taking another small bite and letting her eyes roll back.  "This is gorgeous!"

The Doctor was reclining across from her, his arm stretched along the bench seat.  "I'd be careful if I were you," he teased.  "We've still got a thousand places to try before we get to the end of the Strip."

"A thousand places," she repeated, looking back at the buffet that spanned the length of the restaurant.  "You know, when you hear about Vegas, you hear about the shows and the gambling.  I never would've thought to come here for the food."

"Well, it's an international tourist spot.  Cuisine from all over the world.  You ought to see New Las Vegas, right around the turn of the 150th century.  Food from all over the known universe, now that is a buffet." 

"I can imagine!"

He smiled, and leaned forward.  "Ready to move on?"

She looked at the rest of the cake between her fingers, then ran her eyes down the rest of the table. With less-than-impressive etiquette, she stuffed the cake into her mouth, took a pastry from a nearby plate, and stood up.  "Okay.  Let's go."

He clasped his hands behind him as he led the way back toward the casino floor.  "You know, it's funny how little these places change."  His eyes wandered over all the machines, the people running to and fro, the sound of computerized noises.  "People get tired of something, they just tear it down.  Never update it, not really.  If it survives, it becomes a novelty, and people never lose interest.  These are vintage twentieth century machines, right here.  Couple miles down, you can even still find the ones with the pull handles that drop coins into the tray underneath."

"Mmm hmm." 

Rose was busy trying not to let the cake fall out of her mouth as she followed a few paces behind. He cast a sideways glance at her and grinned.  "Look at you," he teased.  "Little black dress, high heel shoes - which I still think you're going to regret later - and shoving cake in your mouth like I haven't fed you in weeks."

"Shu' up."  She elbowed him, throwing herself off balance, and saw him grinning at her stumble. She bit into the pastry defiantly. There was an explosion of chocolate and custard and - caramel? She groaned in ecstasy.  "How can you not eat any of this?"

"I did."

"You picked at it."

"Ah, we haven't even been to the really good ones yet.  If you want desserts, Caesar's Palace is the place to go."

His eyes followed a couple of barely dressed women - miniskirts and string bikini tops - as they passed, with a mix of amusement and bewilderment.  But he said nothing.  Rose glared at their backs and pointedly swallowed the rest of the pastry in one gulp.

"So?" she said, prodding him.  "Let's be off, then."

He looked around again, quickly losing interest in the two girls.  "Right, well... Let's see.  There's... roller coasters, circus performers, waterfalls, wildlife, replicas of big," he gestured in the air, "ancient Egyptian statues - no, strike that.  Much better to see the real thing."

She smiled.  "I hadn't thought about that.  Ancient Egypt..."

"Eh, not half as exciting as the history books make it sound.  Down that way - no..."  He turned full circle, looking for the doors to orient himself.  "That direction, I think.  That's east.  Right.  Giant holographic projection screen over the road.  Used to be a light show 'til just about five years ago.  Five hundred million dollars to tear it down and build it new.  Can you think of that?  Five hundred million, just for a bit of free fun."