↣ Chapter Eleven ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

L Y D I A 

B R A N W E L L 

B R A N W E L L 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

The New York Institute was probably the most technologically advanced Shadowhunter Institute in the world. There were many Institutes worldwide, with seven being in America alone, but the New York one had developed so much it was a wonder there weren't more Shadowhunters being trained there.

The walls were stone, and there were still the proper arches of the cathedral that it once was. Had it not been for the Shadowhunters taking over the cathedral would have become so depleted that it would have crumbled into nothing more than ruins. Now it was thriving with life. When Chris entered the Institute he was blown away. There was more vitality here than there was at one of Magnus' parties. The sound of chatter instantly filled his ears, a sense of effervescence rushed over him like a tsunami and there was a different sort of energy inside the Institute than there was outside.

A Shadowhunter - in black, of course - pushed by Chris, not even taking notice of the warlock. Chris shrugged, used to being treated that way by the apparently superior race of non-mundanes. It stopped bothering him a long time ago, he didn't get upset about it anymore. Now, he just felt bored by their lack of understanding or caring. But he wasn't there to care about being treated badly by Shadowhunters. He was there to find Isabelle, and maybe check up on Alec as he passed through.

With confidence, that had to be pushed up from the very ends of his toes, Chris made his way through the Institute, not giving notice to the curious eyes that followed him. He had to push all the other Shadowhunters out of his mind. Just seeing so many Shadowhunters brought back unwanted memories and he had to fight to push them away.

"Alec, you think you could get my stele back?" Chris whirled around at the sound of a familiar name. Of course, the voice saying the name was not in anyway familiar and sounded like it belonged to a child. But that name was enough to make Chris' head spin ina good way. He grinned when he saw Alec walking with a little boy - not wearing black, surprisingly - who didn't even reach to his elbow.

"They took it away because you tried to burn down the Mumbai institute." Chris snorted and quickly moved so that when he spoke he would be heard.

"You tried to burn down the Mumbai institute?" Chris asked the little boy as he caught up with him and Alec. The older Shadowhunter looked surprised to see him walking with them so casually. "That's pretty badass."

"Language," warned Alec, causing Chris' lip to quirk up into a smirk. Alec smiled back, unable to stop himself.

"I don't know any synonyms for badass, sorry," he apologised to the little boy, who grinned up at him with a shrug.