Chapter 31

This time when I came to I found myself with my head in someone's lap, my legs curled to fit into the limited space allowed. I blinked and darted my eyes around, not wanting to move my head from its comfortable position for fear of making the headache even worse. I could see the interior of a car, one I recognised. I could see the striking, black and white zigzags of the seat covers and knew immediately that I was in Candy's car.

"Jaylon?" I whispered. His hand, which had been stroking my hair, paused and then rested on my shoulder.

"Louisa?"

"What's happening to me?" My voice was barely even a whisper, I couldn't seem to get it any louder, but somehow he heard, though through his moment of hesitation I wasn't too sure he had.

"I'm not sure," he said, his voice low, but I picked up on the worry there. That meant there was something wrong with me, possibly something bad, really bad.

Slowly, I rolled onto my back so that instead of facing the back of the seat in front of me I could look up at Jaylon's face. His hair was growing out again and was falling in his eyes, though it wasn't nearly as long as before I'd cut it.

"You feeling okay?"

"Mhm," I gave him the best smile I could muster up, wishing I could sit up, reach for him, kiss him. My movement seemed restricted though, and not just by me being cautious through my pounding headache. I felt stiff all over, and almost like something heavy was pressing down on me, stopping me from moving properly as I should.

"Is she awake?" candy's voice spoke up from the front of the car. My eyes darted towards the occupied front seats and I realised that Candy and Finn were both with us.

"I am," I said, though I couldn't be sure she heard me as my voice seemed so quiet.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, glancing over her shoulder at me as she drove.

"Not good," I mumbled, closing my eyes again and nestling into Jaylon's lap some more. I was so tired. I need to sleep. "What about your brother and Thalia?" I said half to myself as I was drifting off again. I didn't hear an answer.

I woke up for the third time that day what must have been hours later, back at the house of the silver coven. I blinked and turned my head, looking around. My headache had reduced to a dull ache in the back of my head, and as I stretched my arms out, I realized I could move much more freely than I had felt able to in the car. I swung my legs out of the bed and looked around Jaylon's room. There was no one else in here, but I could hear voices which meant people weren't far away.

I padded over to the door, wondering who had thought of putting three pairs of socks on my feet - probably Jaylon, he worries too much. I paused before opening it, realizing the voices sounded angry and not sure I should interrupt an argument.

"I can't just spring something like that on her, what if you're right?" This was Jaylon, obviously trying to keep his voice down though he was fuming.

"Exactly! What if I'm right and you haven't told her! She needs to know the risks and what's going on." This one sounded like Lucas. Since when had he come here?

"I don't-"

"Hey, guys!" I said brightly, pulling the door open and cutting off their argument. "What's going on?"

They were silent for a moment, Lucas glaring at Jaylon who stared back defiantly. At last, Lucas turned on his heel and walked quickly away, seeming to know his way around the place even after fifteen years of being gone.

"What was that about?" I asked, trying to act cheerful. I didn't want him to know I had been eavesdropping, though it hadn't really been intentional. Whatever it was they had been arguing about sounded important, and it involved me. If Jaylon didn't tell me whatever it was soon, I would just have to take matters into my own hands and ask Lucas about it as he seemed to think I should know.

"Nothing," Jaylon sighed, moving towards me and wrapping his arms around my waist. "You feeling okay?"

"Peachy." I leaned my head on his chest, my body moulding up against his. One of his hands was stroking up the side of my neck, the other still at my waist. His hand reached my chin and he tilted it up so that he could bring his lips down to meet mine. I melted against him, my arms going around his neck, fingers tangling in his hair. He pushed me back through his bedroom door, still kissing me as he kicked the door closed. I heard the lock click and smiled against his lips. Somehow the novelty of having a warlock as a boyfriend never wore off, even when it was just little things he was doing and I was a witch myself. I pulled away from him, grinning, backing up slowly. He raised an eyebrow and I laughed, grabbing both his hands and pecking his lips before pulling him over to the bed.