Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sunday evening creeps up, and Riley and I are swaying our heads to Sam Trent's beautifully melodious voice. We're seated opposite each other on my bed with our earphones in.

Slowly, I'm falling for you,

Slowly, you're drifting away,

If I knew, I would end,

What I'm feeling today,

But right now, as you lay in my arms,

All I can think about is You, You,

You mustn't leave me,

Or be afraid of b-

"Carrie!" I open my eyes, taking off the headphones.

"I've been yelling your name for some time, now" he says, looking frustrated.

"Sorry" I mumble. How didn't I hear that? "You could've pushed me or something"

"You would kill me" he laughs."You were really getting into the music?"

"What can I say?" I shrug. "Music gets to me"

"I noticed" he answers, smiling. "School tomorrow"

"I know" I sigh.

"Why so gloomy? You should be excited. Your first day of school in forever."

"I should be but" I sigh, again. "I don't know"

"You're nervous"

"Very" I smile.

"Don't be" he answers.

"I'm happy you decided to stay"

"I was never going to leave" he states.

"What?"

"Yeah. I didn't even have many friends back in Mullbing. Then I moved to Aunt Angie's and I'm the new kid still trying to fit in. Everyone already had their own groups, you know? Then I move here, and I meet you. I'm still the new kid, here, but it's better somehow" I smile. "So don't worry about tomorrow." He continues "We'll be new kids together"

"Did I ever tell you how great you are at making me feel better?" I ask, twisting the wire of my headphones.

"It's a gift" he shrugs.

"And by far the most humble person I've ever met" I roll my eyes.

He laughs. "Let's go back to the music, and remember, we're in this together" He lifts his hand above his head for a high-five. I shake my head, "What are we, five?"

"Well, someone isn't a fan of friendly slapping of hands." He mutters.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Nothing"

I smile, sticking my hand out to him "In this together?"

He shakes my hand vigorously, "In this together"

He smiles, and I put my earphones back in and will myself to dive into the never-ending river of music.