00; a glimpse into the future

"Tell me, Lydia. Tell me what happened to them." The would-be Eichen House doctor's voice was sickeningly calm. "What happened to your friends?"

"I.. I don't remember." She mumbled, laying still on the small cot in her designated room. All that moved was her head, turning ever so slightly to look at the man she was absolutely certain wasn't a licensed doctor— not anymore, anyway.

Growls echoed from the rooftop as Scott McCall and Liam Dunbar fought; one defensively, with experience and wisdom, and the other violently, ready to kill for a chance at saving his dying lover.

"It started just after you began senior year. What happened?"

"I don't remember."

Melissa McCall slapped Sheriff Stilinski hard across the face.

"What happened?" He repeated, still as serene as one could possibly manage; he spoke with the same faux sweetness one would use on a dying elder, or a gravely ill child.

Kira Yukimura got into the back seat of a car, watching solemnly out of the back window as Scott stood in the road, his figure disappearing into the shadows after the streetlight behind him exploded.

"Tell me about Parrish."

Jordan Parrish stood surrounded by flames, his eyes blazing with the same orange hellfire.

"And Malia.. what happened when the Desert Wolf finally found her?"

Malia Tate cowered back against a cave wall, her knees pulled to her chest to make herself look as small as possible as a last-ditch effort to hide from the dark shadow approaching.

"You remember what happened to Stiles?"

Stiles Stilinski's beloved, powder blue Jeep was overturned and in flames. The windows had shattered in whatever accident took place, and glass shards littered the pavement all around. Alone in the wreckage lay an unconscious Stiles, half out of the driver's side window with blood dripping from his forehead.

"And Rachel.. what happened when she got what she wanted?"

The ground in front of Rachel Hale was splattered in mercury with each violent attempt of clearing her throat. She ripped the leather jacket off her back, revealing the silver and black splotches dotting her skin like a trail of freckles leading up to a black necrotic looking injection site in the crease of her arm, where the line between skin and decay blurred beyond recognition.

"I can't remember." Lydia insisted, her voice still barely louder than a whisper in her weakened state. She remembered everything, all too well—but the man seated next to her wasn't someone she wanted to tell it to.

"That's alright, Lydia. There are other ways to get to the details." He turned and grabbed a device resembling a drill. "This is a special device designed for trepanation. The medical art of drilling into the human skull. Let me show you how it works."

UNEDITED.

a painfully short prologue was a necessary evil i'm reluctantly including because i plan on doing various flashbacks in future chapters, so to avoid confusion and the constant need to specify whether it's the past or future, this is the only flashforward we'll be having.