Chapter One

Sayaka woke up and sighed. She would have to go school again today. Ever since the bombing of Pearl Harbor, aleast once a day some kid would yell hateful words at her.

      "Stupid Jap!"

      "Go back to Japan!"

      "Traitor!"

     Alas, she wasn't even from Japan. Sayaka was nisei, along with her sibilings. Her younger sister, Mari, was just 6 months old, her head still mostly bald, and she barely knew how to crawl. Her older brother, Michi, was 17, he was tall and dressed nicely, and had a lot of friends. Sayaka wished she had a lot of friends. She looked in the mirror. Maybe it was her hair? Her hair was straight and fell to her shoulders. Maybe not. Sayaka only had few friends, but she did have a best friend, Crystal White.

   Crystal was Caucasian, with long blonde hair, and blue eyes. Sayaka and Crystal looker nothing alike, but they treated each other like family. That was enough for Sayaka. She slipped into her dress and put her stockings on, and her shoes.

    " Sayaka Chan! Come get your breakfast!" Mother called.

   Sayaka ran out her room to the kitchen.

   "Pancakes! My Favorite! Thanks Mama!" Sayaka shouted.

     "It's just food, Sayaka", Mich said rolling his eyes.

     "But it is not Mich, It is the fuel of our bodies. We must be grateful for everything son.", said Father.

      Mich knew he was right, he looked over at Sayaka, who was stuffing her face with pancakes. He knew he was grateful for her. Mich was 4 years old when Sayaka was born, before that Mother and Father had another child, but she died a week after birth, after convulsions. When Sayaka was born, Mother never wanted to leave her along, fearing that she would die too, whilst everyone else in the house slept. But she wouldn't, and now Sayaka was 13 and healthy.

    "Well, it's time for me to go.", Mich said as he grabbed his bag,"Bye Mom,Pop, Sayaka,Mari!"

     Just then they heard the school bus pull up and honk.

  "Hurry Sayaka! You'll miss the bus!"

    Sayaka threw down her fork, wiped her mouth with the napkin and ran into living room, grabbed her bag and hopped on the bus, and was on her way to school.