Dead Chaos - Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

“Can’t leave them alone for a few hours without them getting themselves into a mess,” my dad muttered as we looked down onto the scene below.

“I’m sure Riley did it,” I responded and got a scolding look in return. Well, it was true. Knowing her, she probably saw a snake while they were picking fruit and let out a scream that brought the undead down upon them.

“Think they were after the wine or the grapes?” Viktor asked as he leaned against the highway railing. The small town that Interstate 70 ran above had a winery and inn that at one point in time must have been quaint. Now, with peeling yellow paint and overgrown vines, it was a sad sight. It hadn’t been hard to find Paulina, Melanie and Riley. The sight of a couple dozen or so zombies in a furor surrounding the tasting room clued us in real fast.

Alexi and Justin got out of the truck and joined us. Alexi laughed at the sight. “I’m thinking Paulina looks too tasty up there for a distraction to work. Serve her up with some chips and salsa and they’re good to go.”

“Dude, that’s my grandma. Serve you up with some chips and salsa.” Justin grimaced at his own lack of wit, while pushing up his slipping glasses. Not that he didn’t have extra scavenged pairs in the leather fanny pack he always wore. At the end of the world everyone had that one item that was most precious to them. For Justin, with his bad eyesight, that was lenses that fit his prescription.

I still didn’t know what my most precious thing was.

“Let’s just start picking them off from here,” Alexi suggested.

“And risk hitting the girls, dumbass?” Viktor shoved Alexi in the shoulder.

As we watched a zombie crawl out of the second story window in pursuit of Riley, Melanie kicked it in the head until it fell to the ground below. Several more were already trying to squeeze through the same broken out window.

Viktor let out a disgusted grunt. “Whatever we’re going to do, let’s speed it up.”

“Load up and let’s head down there to lend a hand. We’ll drive back and forth in front of the building taking them out. Alexi and Justin will drive the vehicles while the rest of us shoot.” My dad’s plan was as good as any.

When I climbed back into the Suburban, Kyle immediately asked what the plan was. Once I’d explained it, he looked disgruntled at not being able to help out. Kyle never liked being kept out of the action. He and Viktor often took the initiative in situations like this.

When Alexi climbed behind the wheel, I had a vision of us crashing into the side of the building and being massacred by the horde. Good thing hardass Viktor was riding shotgun. Justin would drive the truck while my dad sat in the truck bed, shooting at targets.

Suicidal plan intact, we made our way down the highway off ramp and sped into the winery parking lot. Alexi, swerving to hit the straggling zombies like an idiot, incurred the wrath of Viktor. My older brother was already halfway hanging out the window and barely managed to avoid soaring from the vehicle altogether. I wondered what bothered him more, nearly getting thrown, or the fact that the last zombie splattered chunks in his face.

“What the hell, Alexi? That almost got in my mouth!” roared Viktor.

“Sorry I didn’t see that one,” replied a bold Alexi. He sure didn’t value his life. Most likely to become a zombie out of sheer stupidity: my little brother.

We were finally in range and the world’s worst drive-by began. At first only a few of the crazed zombies noticed us as we neared, but now the entire swarm turned and began chasing. It seemed almost comical as the zombies pathetically pursued us, arms waving wildly, teeth bared. It felt like I was riding a horrific merry-go-round. Viktor laid out a few on the first lap, and from the looks of it my dad fared about the same. Soon there was a mini dust storm as we kicked up red gravelly dirt, only adding to the mayhem. It was our third lap when Justin hit a pothole that sent my father from the truck bed.