Chapter 5: Wings

A patch of grass can always be found sprouting somewhere between the cracks of a sidewalk despite mankind's efforts in eradicating Mother Nature's beauty as they construct their own properties on top of her. In this same way, a gentle mother can be found raising her children to be good-hearted citizens in between the cracks of the broken walls of her home despite living in an environment surrounded by greed and violence.

Mothers will always prevail.

No matter how many times man may try to alter the direction of her course.

Two little girls sit cross-legged in the center of their makeshift living room floor, engaging in an intense game of rock, paper, scissors. They both throw forth a paper, sigh, lean forward with even more anticipation than before, and throw again. This time, the older girl reveals a rock, the other a scissors.

"I win," the older one boasts, "therefore, I get to be the Titan."

The younger one sinks into her spot on the floor, pouting. "Not fair," she whines, "I wanted to be the Titan."

This is one of their favorite games to play. One person takes to being the Titan, and the other is a civilian that has to do their best to avoid it at all costs. It always seems to end in the civilian succumbing to the ferocity of the beast. The games that these little kids are able to fabricate from the depths of their imagination never fail to amuse, even with their lack of privilege and abundance of oppression in cause of this perilous city.

"I don't think that life is supposed to be fair, so you better get to running. But don't worry, Maika. I'll be nice and count to five before I try to eat you. One..."

"Okay, Anita! I'm going, I'm going!" The girl who goes by Maika lifts herself from the floor and scampers away from her sister, the padding of her feet echoing off of the walls as she does so.

Why is it that they prefer to be the Titan over the civilian?

"Two..."

Maika reaches a corner of the room, snatches a sheer blanket that litters the ground, and envelops herself inside of it. She genuinely believes that she will never be found here.

Is it because the Titan always wins?

"Three..."

She giggles within the material, instantly cupping her hand over her mouth right after. Her cover has almost been blown.

Or is it because they thrive off of the power that the beast holds?

"Four..."

Peeking through the edge of the blanket, little Maika spots her sister in the center of the room still, shielding her eyes with pudgy fingers as she brings her counting to an end.

It is an inherent desire.

"Five!"

The older girl removes her hands from her face and scans the living room with watchful eyes until they land upon a younger girl who tries desperately to conceal herself inside of a blanket.

"Gotcha," she snickers.

Tiptoeing her way across the room, Anita cannot help but smirk as she closes in on her poor little sister. When she is but a mere two feet away, she raises her hands and spreads her tiny fingers apart like claws.

"Rawrrr!"

She embraces her sister with wide arms, though it is more like a bear hug than a Titan seeking to devour the fresh taste of human flesh. Maika releases what can be perceived as the result between a scream and a laugh but regardless, she eagerly attempts to crawl away. Bringing herself to her knees, the young child squirms away from the confines of her blanket and runs.