Chapter 1: Jules

3 years later.....

"Lights! Bennet!" I exclaim, standing from the table as Bennet comes out from behind the curtain with his shit-eating grin and bright blonde hair. I pick up my clipboard and look at the light cues, making sure that I was right.

"Yes, Director Jules?" Bennet replies as he walks over to the edge of the stage and looks down at me with a twinkle in his ice blue eyes.

"Don't make me punch you, Bennet. Tech Week starts tomorrow and you need to get on cue, honey," I order him as I point at the lights and then back at him and he laughs at my comment. I will never understand why that boy thinks its funny to not do his job just to mess with me but whatever.

"Jules! Can you come here for a second?" Eliza suddenly shouts from backstage and I begin to pray that it's not another snag that she ran into with the props. I hear a loud bang as I finally make it to backstage and find Eliza trapped underneath of a giant fake wall piece.

"Oh my goodness! Are you okay?" I race over to help her and she gives me a thumbs up from underneath of the wall piece. I help her push it off of her and she releases a sigh of relief.

"I'm fine now. That was kinda scary. But anyway, what I wanted you to come look at is over here," Eliza directs my attention to a couple boxes piled up near the door out to the back hallway that led to the costume loft and the makeup room. "They're boxes full of old puppets and such from like ten years ago. What do you want me to do with them?"

I crack open one of the boxes and my nose is instantly assaulted with a moldy scent and my eyes are insulted by the sight of terrifying old moldy puppets.

"Oh, my, that is absolutely terrifying," I gasp as I pinch my nose and Eliza nods her head in agreement with my statement, "Bennet! Come haul these boxes out of here please!" I hear a groan from the lights station across the stage but then a shuffling of feet as Bennet makes his way over to us.

"I'm already here on a Sunday, why are you making me do the heavy lifting?" Bennet whines as he tromps over to us and then eyes the boxes. He gasps in horror as he lifts one of the lids and gags at the smell.

"Please, get them out of here," I squeeze his shoulder to convince him as my phone begins to buzz in my pocket.

"Hey, do you think you can open the door for me? I brought coffee and pizza for all of us while we do the double checking for Tech Week," Lily greets me as I pick up her phone call and gasp in excitement; instantly racing down the steps from backstage and towards the door to let Lily in. I yank the door open and take the pizza box out of Lily's arms before she can even step through the doorway of the auditorium.

"Pizza is here everyone! Take a break for a little! And that means you too Callie!" I shout out as I set it on the director's table I had set up and both Bennet and Eliza instantly come out from behind backstage.

"One of us might have to go get Callie cause last time I saw, she was up to her eyeballs in an assortment of all kinds of costumes that she was fixing to sort through before we left for the afternoon," Eliza informs me as she pulls a chair up to the table and opens the pizza box. Bennet rolls his eyes as he pulls up another chair and sits next to me.

"I admire her dedication, but as Student Director, I would also like for her to eat," I reply as we all chuckle and Callie finally comes out from hiding, her blonde curls bouncing as she springs down the steps from backstage.

"Wow, we didn't have to drag her out of the costume loft," Bennet jokes as he grabs a slice of pizza and Callie rolls her eyes.

"Ha ha very funny. But I don't think our student Director would like for that verbal harassment to go unpunished," Callie sasses Bennet with a proud grin as everyone looks to me but I don't reply, a message had just pinged on my phone. My eyebrows furrow as I read the message from the head of the Fine Arts Booster that I had just gotten.