Chapter One

Chapter One
I was walking down the street admiring the beauty of the snow. It was the only time my people could cover our tattoos without seeming conspicuous. A scarf in the middle of summer usually looked a little odd, but in December, it was totally normal to be completely covered up. We weren't required to hide ourselves, but sometimes it could be nice to be anonymous.
Footsteps were following me, but their pace wasn't alarming in any way. They seemed only curious. There were two sets of footsteps- two men following me. They smelled absurdly delectable. When I turned to grab them, I was stunned. They were outrageously attractive. "Oh my!" I said.
The one with a beard looked to his partner and said "Take the Zuri to the car."
I gasped. "No." I tried to scream, but the man covered my mouth. Fighting was no use and I knew it. Baya training would have taught them my weaknesses. Screaming would do me no better. It would draw the attention of weak humans who wouldn't be able to fight Baya either.
He lead me to the car, as I wriggled, trying hopelessly to free myself from his arms. He pulled me into the car with no trouble, and held me in his lap. After a minute that felt like an eternity, he pulled his hand from my mouth.
"Why?" was my first question. If he was Baya, he had to have a reason to kill me. I hadn't turned anyone ever, so I couldn't have turned them against their will and broken that rule. I hadn't created any half-breed children. So, there was no reason for this man to kill me.
"I've been trained to protect you," he said.
"From what? Aren't you Baya?"
He released me, and I sat beside him. "We aren't sure what the threat is, yet. My partner and I aren't Baya. We're human." He pulled down his scarf to reveal a tattoo of a lotus on the left side of his neck. "I've been bitten, but I'm human."
"My race calls you Safi," I snarled.
"I prefer human." He was quite attractive. I couldn't deny that. He had a hole in his lip where a lip ring had been. I wondered if he normally wore it, but had taken it out in case I fought. Speaking of which-
"If I had known you weren't Baya I would have fought you more. Baya are trained to target our weaknesses. I could have taken you down had I known otherwise."
He chuckled. "Attack me."
I licked my lips. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Maybe he knew how to fight me. I couldn't turn down a chance. I lunged for his arms, but he was much quicker than me.
He pinned me to the floorboard in an instant. "I've been trained to protect from Baya, or Zuri, or Safi. You can't outwit me. I can take on any race. You haven't trained."
"How do you know that?"
Another chuckle. "I've been watching you."
I rolled my eyes. "But you haven't figured out what you're protecting me from, yet?"
"No. But tonight the danger was the highest it has ever been."
"What the hell?" I shouted. "I haven't done anything! I have only ever bitten people that were okay with it. I don't know why Baya would be after me."
"It may not be Baya," he whispered.
"Well... who the-"
The driver's side door flew open and the other man hopped into the car. "He put up a hell of a fight," he said. He started the car and we were off, speeding through the streets. He swerved to the left to make a wide right turn.
"Why is he driving that way?"
"There may be others."
I shook my head. "This is crazy. You must have the wrong person. I'm just your average Zuri. I'm not anything special. I keep my head down and follow the rules and stay in line. I don't do anything crazy in an attempt to avoid things like this.  I think you've made a mistake."
"Delilah, calm down. It's okay. We're going to take-"
"Don't do that! Don't act like you know me!" The car swerved roughly to one side and I hit my head on a window and felt my body collapsing in the man's lap just before I lost consciousness.
"Why would you do that?"
"She was getting too frustrated."

"Delilah. Wake up. Are you feeling okay?"
I groaned.
"That is not an acceptable response."
"I feel fine."
"When is the last time you fed?"
"I was trying to last night. It was two days ago."
He sighed. "Here. Drink from me."
"I don't know you."
He laughed. "Has that really stopped you before? Is that a qualification?"
"No... but if I'm going to be spending time with you, I think I should try to be friendly, to keep a good relationship at least. You don't have to do that. I can find my own."
"You aren't leaving my sight. I'd give my life to protect you. I can handle a little bit of fatigue." He pulled his shirt off, and I think my jaw actually fell to the floor. He had another tattoo on his right shoulder, a big one that went down the front of his chest.
"How many do you have?" I whispered.
He smirked. "Just those two. You?"
I pointed to the front of my neck. "Just the one."
"I promise it's okay with me. Come on," he prodded.
I pulled him onto the bed with me so that he was sitting next to my hip, and leaned across him so I could bite down on the top of his left collarbone.
He moaned loudly before letting his head hang back, and squeezing me closer to him. "Oh, God," he breathed. "It's been three years. Fuck."  He said with a little giggle. He massaged the back of my neck as I pulled his blood from his veins and across my tongue. "My name is Benjamin," he said.
For some unfortunate reason, I found it funny that he was telling me his name at that particular moment, and even the slightest laughter had me spitting blood down his naked torso. I pulled away from his shoulder and moved lower to lap up the blood from his chest.
He gasped and grumbled, holding onto his shoulder. I was shocked, watching the lines draw themselves in his skin. I had never seen it happen. I normally left before it happened with the people I drank from. I didn't like to stick around. I hated knowing I'd caused them pain. When the tattoo was complete, he removed his hand.
            I reached out and touched it. "What does it feel like?" I whispered.
            "You don't remember?" he asked.
            I shook my head. "I don't remember anything about being changed. I was swindled into believing it was the right idea. I woke up with a butterfly on my neck and a thirst I couldn't quench. I don't like to think about it. Anyway, you taste even better than you smell. I didn't expect that."
            He smiled. God that smile could give me a heart attack. "Thank you. Even for a smoker?"
            "You smoke?"
            He shrugged. "Yeah. It's my only vice."
            I shrugged, rolling my eyes. "Blood is mine."
            He laughed. "You're really funny," he said.
            "You're really handsome," I retorted.
            He bit his lip.
            "Sorry. Being full makes me extremely confident. I just want you to know that you have beautiful eyes, and everyone has their vices. People deal with things in their own way. Thank you for... your blood."
            He nodded. That smile was lighting up his face so much it was becoming irresistible. I wanted to kiss him, desperately. "I'm going to go shower."
            I gulped.
            "Are you okay?" he asked.
            I nodded. He walked out and I shut the door once he was out of it. I sat in the bed and pulled my knees to my chest. "What the fuck is going on?" I whispered to myself. I promised myself I'd ask Benjamin all the questions in my head, and with that promise, I fell asleep.

~~~
Hope you like this if you're reading! I'm going to post the first few chapters and then post like once a week from them on.  This is Benjamin, with his smirk!

  This is Benjamin, with his smirk!