CHAPTER 3 [1/3]

Ellie's POV (A week before the trip to California)

Fun fact: I didn't have much girl friends since I left California before my freshman year. Which is why I asked Toby, Riley and Connor to come shopping with me at places like Pacsun or H&M and Forever 21 today.

Two skater dresses, three tops and a skirt later, we were sitting down at Starbucks to rest. The boys bought themselves some shirts, too, probably because they were getting pretty tired of waiting for me. "Coachella's going to be amazing," said Riley. I agreed, and I felt like he and Tris could hit it off the first time they meet. We checked out the lineup for the first day. I totally lost it when I saw HAIM, Ellie Goulding, Kate Nash, Title Fight, Bastille and Zedd were going to be there with a lot of equally talented bands and artists. Then I made another inhuman noise when I read "Tom Odell". It was already in my head, the lights flashing everywhere, the crowd dancing along to the music and probably a shitload of famous people will be there. "Looks like Ellie's excited," Connor said. "Well, duh, her blonde counterpart will be there," said Toby, talking about Ellie Goulding.

We checked out until the third day of the first weekend, and realized we had to see the third day as well. We only had passes until the second day, which bummed us out because The 1975 won't be there until day three. "Try to figure something out with Delia and Tris' mom?" Toby pouted. Of course, I said, "Fine." Because really, who can say no to that face?

"I have an idea," said Connor.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We should all make a top ten bucket list on what we should do in California, but we won't share to each other what it all was until the last day. Deal?" he said.

I thought of it and smiled, already thinking of all the doable things I could do for my mom, Tris, myself, and Toby and his brothers. "Deal," Toby, Riley and I said in unison. "Great! Write your list down in your phone or somewhere it can't get lost, but the numbers should start from ten going down to one. And the only rules are you have to do it in California, and it should be something you haven't done before or at least you're somehow new to it," said Connor, excitement glowing off his face.

We finished up and went to Connor's car. Riley went for shotgun and Toby and I were in the backseat. I finally realized how tired I was when I found myself leaning on Toby's shoulder when Kodaline starts playing in the background, and I relax a little. Before I knew it, we were back at my house. My mom was at work, so we have it all to ourselves. We decided to play some Outlast, scaring the shit out of each other in the process. Then I grabbed my guitar from my room quickly and went back down. "Oh, awesome, you have a guitar and piano!" said Connor, going to the small piano set over by the kitchen. "Play a song, I'll try and match," he said. "You can do that?" I asked. "Yeah, I learn by ear," he said.

Then I played Alex Goot's version of Catch My Breath and Riley caught on and started to sing. I sang by the chorus, Connor playing and singing along. Toby backed up some of the vocals, looking at me as he sang. "Let's try something a little different," said Connor, then started playing All Of Me by John Legend.

Toby looked like he meant what he's singing as he looked at me again with sincere eyes as he sang his verse.

How many times do I have to tell you

Even when you're crying you're beautiful too,

The world is beating you down

I'm around through every mood

We felt relaxed right after that jamming session, and once my mother got home, they all said goodbye. "Thanks for keeping her company," she said. "No problem," said Connor. I hugged Toby goodbye as he pressed his lips to my temple. "Good night," he whispered in my ear. "Good night," I whispered back.