three - i'm done

betty♥

"Betty! C'mon I said I'm sorry! What can I do for you to forgive me?!" he practically yells.

I feel bad, he was clearly sorry. I can't help but feel guilty for "not forgiving" him, but I had to push him away- as per my mother's orders. After I told her about Jughead- of course not mentioning the fight, just that I was tutoring him- she said the relationship had to be purely for educational purposes. I wasn't allowed, or "I'm forbidden" in my mothers words, to be friends with Jughead, a serpent. Sure I was angry at him at first, but I'm guessing he's used to saying things like that from where he's from. I forgave him, I did, he just couldn't know.

I try to think of something to say, something that'll make him think I want nothing to do with him. "I don't need to forgive you. We are just here to help you learn." 

He frowns. "Betty, I wanna be friends. Archie's already like a best friend to me and it'd be great if you were too."

I look at my lap, not able to lie to his face. "I don't want to be friends." Although, that couldn't be farther from the truth. The second Jughead and I met, it was like this instant connection, we would be great friends.

He sighs. "If that's what you want." he buries his face into his notes, scribbling onto his paper to avoid talking to me.

"Jughead?" I say.

He looks up at me. His eyes were beautiful, as if they held the sea.

"I- I just want to tell you that you're doing really well. At this rate, our tutoring sessions will be finished in no time." I smile after my quick save. That wasn't what I wanted to say and I honestly mourned the day that our tutoring would end, being the end of our... acquaintanceship? 

~~~

Here we are; Wednesday, day 3 of tutoring, day 3 since I met Jughead Jones. Our sessions were awkward, the air around us tense. 

"So, are your classes okay? Not too difficult or anything?" I ask at the beginning of our session.

He looks confused, probably because I'm being nice. "Uh, yeah, actually. Archie is in 3 of my classes so he helps but they aren't too bad."

"That's good." I nod. "So, anything I can help with specifically?"

He stares at me for a second, before shaking his head out of the trance. "Yeah! Yeah." he bends down and shuffles through his bag. He comes back up, putting a booklet on the table.

"I've got this short story I wrote, not for a class. I love to write, but I've never had someone read my work. Maybe if you read it, maybe gave tips, it could be useful for english class?"

I smile down at the pile of papers, the front a blank paper with only a few words. "The Wrong Side of the Tracks. By Jughead Jones."

"You like to write?" I ask in surprise. A serpent who writes, never would I expect it from anyone else other than him.

"Love to, I want to be a author when I'm older." He nods.

"No kidding. I wanna be a journalist, writing is a passion of mine as well." 

I bite lip as he stares at me, my eyes not wanting to leave his. I shake myself out of it, even though I really didn't want to.

"Uh- well. I'd love to read your story!" I say breaking the stare.

"Oh, yeah, uhm, that'd be great." he says turning his face away from me.

"What's it about?" I wonder.