Short Story

I was sitting on a park bench alone when I saw a man standing by the lake. Who is he? Why is he here? Is he watching me? I tried to get a good look at him, but he disappeared.

"Where did he go?" I wondered.

I looked around the park. There was no sign of him, maybe he was in the woods. I walked up to the first row of trees. Nothing. I slowly ventured further, but he wasn't there. Where could he be? I sighed and turned to walk back to the park. The colorful leaves were crunching beneath my feet. I was almost to the edge of the woods when I heard footsteps. Before I could even turn around, I felt a hand cover my mouth. "Miss Me?"

~~~~~~

My dream was interrupted by the shrill of a phone. I got out of bed and answered the phone. "This is Detective Blake from Bayside Police Station," a man, presumably Detective Blake stated. "Is your father home? I have urgent news."

"Yes he's home." I paused for a moment," Wait! What news?"

In a more serious tone he replied. "I need to speak to your father immediately!" I rushed downstairs to deliver the phone to my father.

"It's the police!" He looked up and took the phone.

"Hello?" He asked the receiver. I only heard a slight murmur from the phone, but whatever Detective Blake had told father wasn't good. Father was on the verge of tears when he hung up with a small 'Thank You.' He grabbed my arm and stated, "Come On. I'll explain in the car." Despite what he said, the car ride was deadly quiet. It wasn't until we got there that I learned about what had happened. My brother and mother were killed in a car crash, but the man who hit them is still alive.

I didn't believe it.

"No!" I cried, "They can't be gone!" Calmly, Detective Blake replied.

"I'm sorry Hanna, but they are gone. I can even show you pictures of the crash." Reluctantly, I looked at the photos. He was right, they were gone.

Frustrated, I decided to go outside and take a walk. The weather was perfect. The sun was shining and the air was cool. I spotted a park down the street that had a beautiful lake surrounded by trees. I walked over to the lake and sat down on a bench. I sighed watching how calm and peaceful everything was.

"Why did this have to happen?" I thought, "How could they be gone?" The stillness of the lake started to get overwhelming so I got up and approached the forest. There were so many different colors, it was unbelievable.

Mesmerized, I walked further into the trees watching the leaves fall to the ground. All of my thoughts seem to fade. This was perfect. I just stood there closing my eyes, letting the cool breeze brush my cheeks.

The moment was ruined when I heard someone running through the woods. I opened my eyes and looked around but no one was there.

Sudden realization hit me, my dream is coming true! I started to run as fast as I could towards the outskirts of the trees, but I stumbled over the tree roots and fell. I tried to get up but I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I sprained it! I was able to let out one scream before I felt his hand cover my mouth. "Miss Me?"

I could feel tears forming as he said that. How could this happen? He yanked me up to standing position and I cried out in pain, but he didn't seem to notice. He just dragged me deeper into the forest. Never to be seen again.

It wasn't until it was too late that I found out who he was... He was the same man who killed my mother and brother. He was the same man that haunted my dreams. He was also the same man that used to tuck me in at night and tell me wondrous stories.

He was my father. I never would have guessed that it was him, but it doesn't matter anymore. I just hope that he will find it in his heart to Miss Me.

*********

What did you think of it? Should I change it up and make it longer? Do you have any ideas of what I should do in the book?

- HaleyMacKay