Author's Note

THIS story began as a simple idea, based on a couple of images from Pinterest—which is a great place to find inspiration for stories none of us have time to write. There are only so many that can be penned, but I am glad to say that Princess of the Highlands is one of them. In fact, it was the very first original story I wrote that was longer than a few thousand words. 

I typed out the first chapter at my aunt's house in Florida, where we were vacationing back in 2016. I finished the first draft a year later at some 34K words. I deeply apologise to whoever read that first draft, where thirteen-year-old me didn't know what she was doing. This book has since grown to 99K words in several rounds of serious edits over the years as I've grown in both age and skill as a writer. Thanks to my friend, Sary, this story also became not just one book, but three, with more stories set in the same full tale playing around in my head. But all these explanations regarding this book's origin are boring.

The story, while based on a general time of the Danish occupation of Scotland, around 800 A.D., is not set in any particular era. None of the people, places, or events existed or happened—to my knowledge, anyway. For those of you who have read my debut, Between Two Worlds, if you're expecting a very particular, historically detailed novel, you may be disappointed. Consider this instead to be a type of mediaeval period drama. Which brings me to the other important point of accents. 

Yes, this book has plenty of Scots English, and it varies from character to character. Those for whom it is a second language, it is not as thick. Most of the Danish characters, on the other hand, speak in plain English, for which I imply they are speaking in their own tongue. 

This book and the characters in it mean more to me than anything else I've ever written. It is a tale full of tragedy, but also joy and hope and love and the beauty of life. If you finish this book and its accompanying novels, I hope you are touched in some way. 

But I digress. 

Come. A princess without a crown, a harper without his sight, and a boy tortured by the past are waiting for us.