Chapter 30

Hi Sorry in advance...most of you are gonna hate me after this chapter....or not :P  Some of you expected this, I'm sure :)  Anyway....Thanx for all the support dudes, and dudettes :D  Drop me some feedback, pretty please....I am truly gobsmacked that you peeps got this story over 50, but hey, I always knew you were all awesome (even the silent types :)  Ok, go read....(runs and hides*)   No throwing tomatoes please...I just washed my hair :P

This one goes out to all yall :)

Ps*  UNEDITED, so feel free to point out errors as well :)

Locke:

Following Kai’s scent to the kitchen, he leaned against the doorframe and studied him quietly.  He was crouched, deftly mopping up a coffee spill and by the looks of it, he’d changed his clothes already too.

Without looking up, Kai said.  “You shouldn’t have sent Nik for Damien.  Contrary to what you think, I can manage my decision making just fine.”

 “I know that you can.  I wanted to speak to you alone before the rest get here.”

Kai tossed the rag in the sink and turned to him.  “The rest huh?”

Locke nodded.  “Yeah.”   He straightened up gestured to the living room.  Kai rinsed off his hands and followed behind him.

Locke waited for him to sit which he did so reluctantly, on the armrest of the couch.

“Sofia’s parents know she’s gone.”

Kai head snapped up. 

“I thought I’d just warn you that they may want to be here as well.”

His voice sounded far away as he mumbled, “Sure.”  He seemed to gather himself up again with a deep breath.  “I take it the Guardians won’t punish them for now.”

“No, not if I have any say in it.  I guess after they know the truth about you, none of them will be willing to punish them anyway.  We were all mislead.  And Dante was proven guilty of the murders in the City.  He kind of went insane.”  He pulled a face.

Kai sighed.  “Yeah, well, I saw that coming a long time ago.”  Eyes flashing, he whispered, “I hope she’s hanging in there...” 

Locke didn’t want to lie to placate him.  Instead, he squeezed his knee and offered silent comfort.

Fists clenched, Kai swallowed hard.  “He must know she’s mine.”

“She’s strong, Kai.  She’ll hold her own until you get her.”

“She shouldn’t have to, Locke!  She shouldn’t have to go through this because of me.” 

“It’s not because of you.  Dante would have snapped sooner or later.  He just happened to use you as his motivation this time.  Don’t blame yourself.”

Kai pulled away and stormed off.  He went as far as the window and stopped, throwing it wide open and letting the cool breeze calm him.  Outside was unusually quiet.  Locke noticed the red moon slowly waning.  The deep red from earlier had lightened and a few hovering clouds were now tinted pink and purple as they drifted across the sky.  He let him have his moment of peace before speaking again.

“There’s more.” 

Kai remained quiet.

“Kai?” 

“I’m listening.” 

Locke dipped his head self-consciously.   “I didn’t want to say this right now, but…”