chapter 2

Rosalie’s P.O.V 

“Hurry up!” 

I feel myself beginning to lose my temper already with my two ‘best friends’, Lydia and Vivienne. Why did I have to choose possibly the most irritating girls in the whole Slytherin house to hang around me? I look on with contempt as they rush around the dorms for their books. 

“You’re so disorganised it’s disgusting,” I snap at them as they finally join me at the door.

“Sorry,” Lydia murmurs as they follow me out of the dungeons. 

Already in a dreadful mood, I hitch my black pleated skirt up and smooth down my jumper, staring at my reflection in the dirty mirror. My long, straight black hair falls down to the small of my back and frames my face perfectly. I have piercing green eyes lined with black eyeliner to make them even more shocking, parchment white skin and sharp cheekbones. I wear thigh-high green striped socks under my skirt and a grey jumper with my cloak and tie over the top.

On our way to first lesson the staircases suddenly jolt and begin to change direction. I stumble backwards as a scrawny little first year collides into me. 

“GET OFF ME, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?” I screech and shove the vile little boy away from me. 

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t m-mean to!” he gasps and clutches onto the banister for balance. 

I notice his yellow Hufflepuff tie and feel bile rise in the back of my throat. Hufflepuffs. They disgust me. Without so much of a second glance I swing a leg into his shin, stick my chin in the air and continue my journey. I hear a whimper as he drops to the ground. Pathetic. 

“Rosalie Hurd, come back here right now!” A prefect calls out after me. 

I give him the middle finger, which receives a mix of chuckles and gasps from around me. Most people would feel guilty after hurting an innocent 11 year old, after all he's only been here for a short amount of time so he wouldn't be used to the grand staircase. However, I find guilt a weakness and there’s no way I want to be seen as weak. That’s just how Slytherins think. Everyone in our house loves each other... but nobody really likes each other. I'm the same except that when I dislike someone, everybody knows about it.

* * * * * *

By the time I reach class I'm not in such a rage as before, Professor Binns is extremely dull and I'm already pretty good at History of Magic so I don't put much effort into the lesson. I start to tune out from Binn's dreary voice and find my exhaustion from lack of sleep take over my body. Although I put on a brave face everyday to keep up my tiresome reputation as a ‘fierce, ruthless, cold-hearted yet still desirable bitch’, I have a terrible habit of keeping myself awake at night overthinking. It’s my biggest flaw.

Suddenly I feel something hit the back of my head and my eyes shoot open.

“You idiot!” I hear a deep voice behind me and I whip my head around.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” I hiss to the boys behind me.

“Throwing a ball of parchment at you,” one of them replies cheekily before his twin brother punches him in the arm.

I go to argue back but find myself lost for words.

“Sorry, just ignore him,” the other twin interrupts, “I’m Fred.”

The light from the torch on the wall hits their bright red hair making the colour even more shocking. I notice the blush on Fred’s face and the smirk on his brother’s.

“I don’t care, piss off,” I roll my eyes and turn back around.

 The Next Day

I feel the crunch of the autumn leaves under my boots as I stroll down the streets of Hogsmeade with my large group of friends following. The other students part the way for us and we pile into the Three Broomsticks. As usual, every Saturday we persuade some sixth years to buy us fire whiskey and we spend the afternoon being rebellious and pretty drunk.

We’re all crowded around the bar giggling and being really loud and obnoxious, I grab my fire whiskey and tilt my head back. The liquid pours down my throat and I get the familiar burning sensation. I feel my head go light and my muscles relax…

“Oh my god, Rose!” Vivienne nudges me sharply in the stomach urgently.

“What?” I snap, how dare she ruin my fun?

She points over my shoulder and widens her eyes. I follow where she’s pointing and gasp, ducking behind people. Hagrid’s huge figure looms in the doorway as he scans the crowd of students at the bar. His eyes fall onto the empty goblets littering the room and he inhales deeply.

“What is this you’re all drinking?” His voice booms across the room and he charges forwards to the bar.

Silence falls over us all, my heart beats scarily hard in my chest.

“Fire whiskey!” somebody blurts out giggling hysterically.

We all exchange shocked looks and I literally face palm.

“You’re all drunk! All of you!” his mouth opens in disbelief.

I grab hold of Vivienne and Lydia’s arms and slowly creep through the mass of people towards the door. We hold our heads down and duck behind one of the tables. The door opens as a group of adults come in for a drink and I see my chance. Heart hammering, I make a run for the door and feel the cold air hit me. Unfortunately, the amount of alcohol I've consumed means the air isn't the only thing that hits me. I feel my body go flying forwards and I lose my balance, stumbling down onto the hard cobblestone.

"Hey, you! Come back here!" Hagrid's voice bellows out.

Crap.