Chapter Twenty Three

..... This is it, the end.

Hope you enjoy

~~~~

Aethelwald watched as a lone horseman rode ever closer to the village, he’d woken early in the morning with nothing to do but watch the sunrise over his lands. There was a sense of unease across his heart and it was slowly eating away at his soul.

It had been nearly a year since he’d last seen his daughter as they rode past the village on the way back from Scotland with her husband’s legion. He missed her more than he’d ever thought he would, missed her constant nagging, her caring nuances for her brothers as well as her old father.

“Don’t worry about me, worry about that sword.” She’d laughed as she’d ridden away that last time on the front of her protector’s horse.

He wished she’d come home.

“Who’s that?” Edwin asked, sitting beside his father as they watched the lone horseman. “It looks like Albus.”

“Albus?” the old man asked looking over at his youngest son, with the keenest eyes of the village.

“It’s his horse at least, I want that horse.”

“What is he doing coming here without Esma?” Aethelwald asked frowning narrowing his eyes in an attempt to see better.

“I hope she’s alright.” Edwin whispered jumping to his feet and waving his arms, a small smile crossed his lips as the rider held a hand up in recognition. “It’s Albus.”

Albus looked up at the two men standing on the ridge in the distance, Esma’s father and one of her brothers. Pain ripped through his chest as he held an arm up in reply to the younger man’s wave, he didn’t want to be here, but there was no other way.

His small charge lay against his chest blissfully unaware at the world whirling around her at hundreds of miles an hour. Far too soon, Albus climbed from his horse and headed towards the old chieftain. Instead of shaking the man’s hand Albus wrapped his arms around his shoulders in an embrace.

“What’s wrong?” Aethelwald asked as the younger man started to shake. “Where’s Esma?”

“She’s not good.” He said pulling away, letting the old man see his red eyes. “There were complications and it’s all my fault.”

“What did you do?” Edwin asked grabbing the older man and spinning his around to face him.

Without a word Albus opened his cloak and removed the bundle from his chest, his heart wrenching open as he passed Edwin the baby girl.

“You got her pregnant?” Edwin asked looking down at his niece. “What’s her name?”

“Esma said it was Alba.” Albus sighed falling to the floor in exhaustion. “I was ordered to kill her, but how can I kill my own child?”

“Are you sure she’s yours?” Aethelwald asked frowning at the Roman solider.

“I’m sure, Blandus, he’s not the type to father children. Ever . . . but he’s took the boy on.”

“Twins?” Edwin asked. “Won’t he tell the difference?”

“Blandus and I share a father, he won’t know if I can keep my mouth shut.”

Aethelwald took the small child from his son and kissed her forehead. “Thank you for bringing her here.”

“There’s only one other place I’d rather her be and that’s impossible.” Albus stated, “Can I say goodbye?”

Aethelwald nodded passing the daughter to the Roman who cradled her gently against his neck whispering soft words in their native tongue to her. If a man could handle a baby so gently, so carefully, then he was worthy to care for his daughter.

“Thank you.” Albus stated rubbing his face against his cloak before standing up and passing his daughter to her grandfather. “I owe you my life, give her this.” Carefully, he removed the necklace his mother had given him upon her death and passed it to the old man. “Tell her how much I love her?”

“You are a true man.” Aethelwald stated gripping Albus’ neck before kissing his cheek. “She’ll know what you did for her.”

“I’ve got to go, tell Esma she’s safe and Blandus that she’s gone.”  Panic swept over his eyes, but before he could say a word Aethelwald gripped his shoulder.

“Ceolwulf’s married recently, we’ll say she’s his daughter if he should turn up. Now go.”

Edwin watched as the roman rode quickly away from the village, respect grew for him as Edwin turned to look at his niece. He’d risked it all to make sure she’s safe, spoken words of love and promise of life to her as he’d left.

“Ma couldn’t have been blessed with a better man.” He stated. Aethelwald nodded focusing on his granddaughter in his arms. “I just wish she was here too.”

“It seems no woman of mine will live too long.” Aethelwald whispered, “We’ll make sure you do, you’re special.”

As if she knew she was being spoken too Alba opened her eyes and flashed perfect green orbs at her grandfather who laughed and kissed her roughly, tickling her with his long grey beard.

“Best introduce you to your uncle’s.” Edwin grinned running a hand across her soft black hair, letting the protective urge fill him. He would do for her what Esma did for him; it was the least he could do.

---

Esma felt large warm hands cradle her face as she drifted into consciousness. “I’m here.” The one voice she wanted to hear whispered as lips pressed kisses against her temple and cheeks.

“Did you…” she breathed turning and opening an eye to look at the man she loved.

“Yes, she’s with your family.” He whispered taking her hand and pressing it against his lips. “I promise to keep an eye on them both.”

“Al…I love you.” Esma’s voice was a mere breath as she tried to talk to him.

“I know, I love you too.” He whispered back before pulling sharply back and putting a hand to her forehead.

“What are you talking about?” Blandus ordered walking into the room having heard them speaking in English rather than Latin. “Why aren’t you using Latin?”

“She’s dying.” Albus snapped, “It’s hard for her to talk Latin when she can barely breathe.”

“Well it’s her fault for birthing twins.” Blandus shrugged, “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Telling her the girl is safe.” Albus said, resisting the low growl.

“You dealt with it then, good job.” He stated patting his shoulder. “Now, do what you want.”

Albus fell back beside her as soon as Blandus had left the room, “I don’t want you to leave me.” He whispered into her ear.

“Al.” she said with a whisper of a laugh. “I’m not leaving, I’m just sleeping.”

“I’ll look after them, keep an eye on them.” He stated running a finger along her soft pale skin; she had no idea how ill she was. “Marcus is going to be a great man, I’ll keep him on the right path make sure he knows about you. Alba, she’s going to be stunning…she’s got your eyes, and your laugh.”

Esma let out an amused sound as she listened peacefully to his deep purr.

“I’ll make sure she marries someone she loves, I’m rich enough to make sure she does. I promise she won’t be like us.”

“She won’t, mama said so.” She whispered moving her head so her lips brushed his skin in a last kiss.

Albus rested his head against her chest as she left him; he’d thought leaving Alba had been hard but it was nothing like this. He knew the tears were flowing freely, he knew people would know, but he didn’t care.

He’d lost Esma.