That's an Order

Vesta hated sparring. Well actually she didn't, she just hated the way the matron made them do it. They were supposed to spar to the point where they could kill. Sometimes, if she put herself in the mindset, she could do it. On days like today, it wasn't going to happen. The Matron had decided she was to spar with Fallon. Over the course of the last few months Vesta and Fallon had become very close. They talked endlessly about the books they read together, but they were always careful to keep up the cold hearted act when others were around. She pulled on her training leathers and grabbed her knives, heading to the sparring ring. Vesta tried to convince herself that she could do it, she could push to the point where she had injured Fallon so bad that her next move could kill. However, she couldn't no matter how hard she tried, and Vesta hoped Fallon understood.

Fallon sat on her bed, slowly pulling on her training leathers, trying to delay the inevitable as much as possible. She was told that she had to spar against Vesta this morning and she was dreading it. Ever since they ran into each other that morning months ago, Fallon had developed a closeness with the other witch, something she had never experienced before, except with Faline. Fallon hated having to spar against Vesta, so much that she would rather go up against any other of the thirteen, even Manon, but it seemed that wouldn't happen today, since the Matron herself was going to be there to watch them. Fallon stood up slowly, hoping that she and Vesta would both be able to get through this.

Vesta stood in the ring, mentally preparing herself. She put up the cold front she was supposed to have as a Blackbeak, hoping that Fallon would be smart enough to see through it. She paced in the ring, waiting for Fallon to show up, just wanting to get it over with.

Fallon entered the training room, walking right for the ring. She could see Vesta already there and she willed her face not to give away the fact that she would rather be anywhere else right now. She climbed into the ring, glaring at Vesta so that the Matron wouldn't be able to see how much she dreaded this.

"You're late." Vesta sneered

"It must've been hard standing for an extra five minutes. Should I get you a chair?" Fallon hissed back.

Fallon smirked, pulling out her own blades. She stayed where she was, watching Vesta intently. She knew that she would have to fight Vesta but Fallon didn't want to be the one who struck first.

Vesta lunged at Fallon, intending to drive the blade through Fallon's shoulder. Fallon let the blade skim across her shoulder, not enough to leave damage but enough for blood to be running down her arm. She hissed, lunging towards Vestas middle. Vesta sidestepped Fallon and then pulled Fallon back up and put a blade to her throat,

"That was pathetic." Vesta sneered. Fallon hissed, elbowing Vesta in the stomach while trying to dislodge Vestas grip on her throat. Vesta released her grip on Fallon, however she started circling fallon,

"Come on Ladies, we don't have all day."The Matron drawled. Fallon wanted to throw her blade at the Matron but she knew that would mean her death, so instead she watched Vesta circling her while letting her iron nails descend.

Vesta lunged at Fallon again, this time aiming for Fallon's throat. Good gods she didn't want to do this but it was vital to their act.

Fallon leapt out of the way, but she felt the blade sink into her shoulder anyways. She hissed, yanking it out and throwing it at Vesta.

Vesta ducked and the whirled around immediately picking up the blade, "You'll have to try harder." She lunged again, swinging both blades for Fallon's sides.

Fallon dropped and rolled to the side of Vesta. Rising quickly, she tried to sink her nails into Vestas side.

"You little shit." Vesta whispered, as the blood began to run down her sides.

Fallon smirked for the Matrons benefit, but on the inside she felt like retching, 'I just hurt my sister.' She wanted to scream that this was wrong but she knew that they both would be punished then, so she pulled out another blade, swinging it toward Vestas shoulder.

Vesta came up behind Fallon with a blade to her throat, "Oh look, we're here again." she sneered. In reality, Vesta just wanted Fallon to do it, to deliver the blow that would end the match, regardless of the repercussions.

Fallon growled, bringing her blade down toward Vestas knee.

Vesta fell to the ground, seething in pain, she tried to get back up but she couldn't.

Fallon spun around, prepared to strike again when she saw that Vesta wasnt getting up. Fallon started shaking her head slightly, not even realizing that she dropped her blade. She'd hurt her friend, her sister. Fallon started shaking her head harder, backing up. "I'm sorry." She whispered toward Vesta, knowing that Vesta didn't blame her, but hating herself all the same.

"No." Vesta said, "You are a Blackbeak. You are not sorry. Pick up the blade and do it."

Fallon shook her head, her eyes pleading with Vesta to understand why she couldn't do this.

"Fallon Blackbeak. Your opponent is clearly incapable of fighting back. Land the blow. Now." the matron snarled.

Fallon gritted her teeth, turning slightly toward the matron. "She can't fight back. I won."

Vesta stood up slowly, "Are you sure?" The Matron pointed.

"I am not fighting. I am surrendering." Vesta said coldly.

Fallon closed her eyes briefly, knowing that no matter what happened now, the matron was going to punish them for this act of defiance. Fallon looked toward Vesta, not caring what her own punishment would be, just relieved to not have to hurt her sister anymore.

Vesta looked at her sister, there was no possible way this was over yet, "Well, Fallon, you know you can't get out of this." The Matron said quietly.

"I know." Fallon nodded, tearing her eyes away from Vesta to look toward the sneering matron.

The Matron placed a knife in Fallon's hand, "Kill her."

Vesta's eyes widened, that was not what she had been expecting.

Fallon flinched, backing up a step. "No!" She whispered harshly, looking at Vesta then back to the matron, "I can't do that."

"Do it." The Matron said, "Or be gone."

Fallon shook her head, glaring at the matron, "I'm not doing that. I won't."

"You are a pathetic excuse for a Blackbeak."

Fallon glared at the floor, not daring to say anything incase she angered the matron further.

Vesta took her knife and threw it at the Matron, "You leave her. And don't you dare tell me I'm being pathetic, because as a Blackbeak it's my duty to protect my sisters, which means if they are suffering I have to stop it. So Fallon, go. That's an order from your fourth." Vesta maintained cold eye contact with the stunned Matron.

Fallon shook her head, not wanting to disobey an order but unable to abandon her sister.
"Now." Vesta said sharply, "That was an order."

Fallon flinched, backing up a few steps towards the exit, glancing at the matron before returning her gaze to Vesta. With a last look, Fallon ran.

Vesta maintained eye contact with the matron, "Go. I will come back for you for defying me in ways that will mess with you permanently. But go to your sister, for that is your job."