We Have to Try

Fallon ran until she got to her room then she dropped to the bed, putting her head in her hands, hating that she left her sister. Even though it was an order, she should have stayed, she should have been stronger and stood by Vesta, instead of running away like a coward.

Vesta pounded on Fallon's door, she couldn't make it back to her own room to deal with her injuries, Fallon was the closest.

Fallon opened the door expecting to see the matron on the other side. "Ves? I'm sorry I left! Fallon pulled her into the room, closing the door. "She let you leave?"

Vesta collapsed on Fallon's bed, "She did, yes. Because it's my obligation as your sister to take care of you, I told her that to her face. And she vowed to me that she would come back to haunt me in ways I can't even begin to imagine."

Fallon hissed, hating the matron even more. "I'm sorry. I just, I couldn't keep pretending that fighting you didn't bother me. I hate that I hurt you Ves, I'm so sorry."

Vesta began to wrap up her wounds as Fallon spoke, "Don't apologize. We just have to be more careful."

Fallon nodded, sitting next to Vesta on the bed. "I know, it's just so hard to pretend to hate you."

Vesta rested her head on Fallon's shoulder, "It's hard to do it with you too, but we still have to try. we just have to avoid sparring."

Fallon rolled her eyes, "Like that'll happen. I'm sure she'll make us spar against each other more now." Fallon shook her head, growling, "Probably every day."

"We've been taught since forever to always put a fight, it's time to do it."

Fallon raised an eyebrow, "Yeah, others. Not each other. We shouldn't be fighting each other and especially not injuring each other. It makes no sense."

"If we don't try now, we're going to have to force ourselves into being cold witches again, and I don't want to o that. I'm starting to break free, and I like it. I don't want to go back." Vesta lowered her voice, "I hate being a monster."

"I know, so do I but Ves, hurting you makes me feel like that." Fallon shook her head, standing up, "We are sisters. We're supposed to be protecting each other."

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere, I just..." Fallon ran her hand through her hair, shaking her head. "I hate this Vesta. So much."

"I know, so do I. But we have to."

Fallon sat back down on the bed. "Acting cold is one thing. I can do that, fine. Its easy, we've been doing it for years, but hurting you or the rest of the thirteen, I can't do that, Ves. I would rather hurt myself first." She said quietly, not quite looking at Vesta.

"Fallon. We're going to be okay."

Fallon nodded, laying back. "I hope so."

Vesta laid down next to her, "Until the darkness claims me I will be your sister."

Fallon nodded, reaching for her hand. "Until the darkness claims us." She turned slightly, glaring at Vesta. "But if you ever order me to abandon you again, we will have a major problem, Ves."

Vesta face went straight, "If I ever order you to leave me its because I know that I need you to make it out alive. And you won't argue."

Fallon let go of her hand, sitting up to face her fully. "What about what I need, Vesta? I need you to make it out too. Do you have any idea how hard it was to leave you today? How much I hate myself for that?" Fallon hissed out, practically shaking.

"Do not hate yourself for leaving me. I asked you too. If anyone should hate themselves it should be me. I pulled rank on you. I never ever want to do that. And I know. I know you need me. But you living is so so much more important than me."

Fallon rolled her eyes, "Yeah, well, you living is more important to me, so don't do that again. Next time, we'll work together and make sure we both stay alive. Deal?"

"Unless I know we can't both make it out. Then I'm pulling rank on you."

Fallon glared down at her, "If we both can't make it out, then you better be the one who gets out Vesta Blackbeak. I'm serious. You're our fourth, the thirteen needs you."

"And so am I. As the fourth its my responsibility to make sure everyone lives, even if I sacrifice myself."

"As the fourth, its your damn job to stay alive, Vesta. The thirteen can't lose you."

"And they sure as hell aren't losing you."

"Fine. So we'll stay together then since neither of us will let the other die."

"Fine."

Fallon rolled her eyes, laying back down. "Glad we agree."