two

Delta was standing before the mirror, her hair bunned at the top and the corset to her dress being pulled. She gripped onto the table for support, but Marcia showed no mercy in tightening the dress until delta thought she would explode.

  "I think this dress is a size too small." Delta said in pain.

  "Be grateful we are at least providing you with clothing and not leaving you as the outcast you were."

  Delta rolled her eyes at Marcia's reply and walked over to the chair.

  "You don't happen to have a pair of stilettos, do you? I mean, you can't expect me to roam around in these superstars."

  "You named your shoes superstars?" Marcia asked in disbelieve and shook her head.

  "No, that's what they're called. Forget that, just get me some shoes please."

  "And you expect me to believe that you could possibly know how to walk in anything other than laced up man shoes?" Marcia was having a good chuckle with herself and delta was beginning to get annoyed.

  "Yes. We wear that in the city all the time."

  Marcia handed over a brown box with a black lace. Delta removed the lace, opened the box and smiled at its contents. Inside that box, layed a beautiful pair of charcoal hills with black and purple stones and dust. It was definitely over four inches and thinner than the ones she's familiar with, but this was no stopping step for Delta. She was determined to fit in those beauties and rock it while she could.

  Delta couldn't enjoy much since Marcia had to attend to the door and came back in a hurry.

  "I have some work. I trust that you will do something about your hair and come down for lunch in the next hour."

  Delta nodded and watched as Marcia left the closet, and after a while, the room as well.

  "Yes!" Delta whispered shouted and jogged her way into the room.

  She twirled and posed, feeling like a princess. She was definitely surprised with the life her family lived, but it didn't bother her much. If Delta had to pretend to be a royal for the next two weeks, even the coldness of this family wouldn't bring her down.

  As Delta swerved and danced around her room, her eyes kept returning to the high, secured windows. She wondered why it has been closed off and why it was so high.

  Delta climbed onto the bed and the thick wooden headboard. If she stood on her toes, it would be just enough to peek over and see a little bit of the outside.

  Delta first saw the sky, and then grass. Plenty of it. When she tried to get higher and see more, she caught a  glimpse of a few horses with riders that marched around a metal gate. It must be the back entrance since Delta didn't remember coming in from there.

  Delta climbed down and went back into the closet. She found a piece of paper in the shoe box, rolled it into a ball and then returned back to the headboard.

  She tried balancing, keeping one hand against the window sill and one hand in the air. She aimed, and then shot.

  The second the paper ball came close to the ground, three guards in different directions turned to face her window with weaponry aimed, while three of them looked ahead and four roamed the area.

  Delta quickly ducked down, hoping the guards hadn't noticed her. When she looked back up, the three guards kept glimpsing back and only one was roaming now. That got Delta thinking more about the room she had to sleep in. Why was it so protected? What was here before?