I

__________

__________

EMMA

HER SHOES SQUEAKED ON THE FLOOR. It was annoying to say the least and she'd rather be sitting down catching up on her charts, but rounds needed to be done. Emma made her way through each hospital room, greeting the patients, taking vitals, giving them their medicine. Emma had liked the conversations she had with the patients. One of the reason she became a nurse in the first place.

Emma knocked on the wooden door before walking in, "Mr. Walsh, how are you today?" She greeted the man who sat on the chair by the sherrif's bed. Shane Walsh had visited his friend at least three times a week. Apparently, he was shot in a shoot out and was now in a coma and has been for the last month.

"I'm good. And yourself?"

She just nodded as she grabbed his chart off the end of the bed, "I'm doin' just fine." She smiled and began to check his blood pressures and the machines that showed his heart rate.

"How's Mrs. Grimes doing?" Emma asked, sparking a conversation.

"She's doing good. Carl too."

"That's great." She grinned.

Before Shane could speak up again, they heard bullets in the hallways, followed by a series of loud footsteps.

"Get down!" He whisper-yelled and pulled Emma to the floor, cowering over her. Emma covered her mouth and closed her eyes as the door opened.

The only thing she thought about was Sebastian. Her brother had called off of work today because he had gotten sick. The other delivery guy, which was his best friend, had to come in to work.

"I think we're good," Shane told Emma. She just nodded and hesitantly stood up. Shane began to lift Rick up as soon as the monitors turned off. He sighed and put his head to his chest, not finding a heart beat.

"We need to leave." Shane spoke, his voice raspy.

Emma just nodded, too afraid to speak. She felt like something was stuck in her throat. So many thoughts and questions circled in her mind.

As the two exited the hospital room, they pushed a bed in front of the door. Shane drew his gun, keeping Emma close behind. Once the two reached the doors, they ran outside to Shane's squad car.

"Alright, um, w-we'll go get your stuff and your brother and then we'll leave to get Lori and Carl." Shane told her. He spoke too fast, almost as if he was scared for his own life. She didn't blame him. She was scared too. Neither of them had no clue what was going on.

As they drove through the streets, they saw people walking along them, bite marks somewhere on their body. Some of them marking other people as well.

"What's happening?" Emma finally asked.

Shane shook his head, "I don't know, Emma. I don't know."

__________

The group of people sat around the fire, some of them having their own conversations, some too afraid to speak.

Emma was engaged in a conversation with Sebastian and his friend, Glenn. The three of them were talking about the pizza place that the two friends worked at.

"I don't even know why I worked there so long. The pizza was gross and the pay was shitty." Sebastian complains.

"I agree. It was gross." Glenn replies, making a face, which causes Emma to laugh.

"Has anyone heard of the Chupacabra?" The group of three turned their attention to Dale, the one who suggested they come to the quarry with him.

A chorus of no's surround the tight circle. "See Daryl, the Chupacabra isn't real."

Daryl scoffs, "Ya'll are just crazy." He shakes his head.

Daryl and Emma had only said a few words to one another. Well, she had said 'Excuse me,' and he had grunted in reply. Daryl had certainly fascinated Emma. He wasn't like his brother, Merle, who couldn't keep his mouth shut for more than two seconds.

Daryl could say the same thing about Emma. He didn't know anyone who would show up in scrubs to a quarry. It was more of an unspoken thing that the two had taken an interest in one another, but both of them were just too afraid to say anything to the other.

The night continued with the caravan talking about their pasts, some of the keeping quiet. Emma had thought that they all were talking about the good times because they were all scared to talk about what was happening. She knew she was scared, she just wasn't sure about the others.

The group of twenty hadn't slept that first night, all of them too afraid that the monsters that had previously walked the streets would come to get them.

The world was ending and none of them expected it. Nor where they prepared for what was about to come.

__________

[n.]

I don't know how many words this is
Because Wattpad isn't showing me.

I also changed Laurel to Emma, again.

Whoops.

But thank you for reading the first chapter!

Happy reading :))