Caspar Knight

“Casper, wake up. Wake up Casper, Now!” Caspar Knight awoke to his mother’s yelling while packing a small suitcase urgently. “What is it Mother?” he asked sleepily, rubbing his eyes.

“Ambrym is not safe. Human men are travelling towards our city, they wish to fight and take Ambrym for their own. We must leave now and search for a safer place to live.” Replied the Mother. Caspar, now wide awake quickly got up and chucked on yesterdays clothes which were still lying on the floor. Once dressed he followed his mother out onto the familiar cobblestone street. The street, normally was deserted but tonight it was full of Miracles, the woman, children and elderly were all heading towards the hidden emergency door to escape and head to the Purple mountains to stay  in the secret dwarf caves and tunnels. The men of able bodies were forced to stay behind to defend their city from the humans. Caspar being only fourteen was not old enough to fight in the eyes of their King, Eric Torch. Caspar had always found extremely unfair since all his friends got to skip two hours of school a day for war training. Whilst Caspar and one or two other pupils in his year had to stay behind with the little ones and the girls. Oh how he had hated it. But now that the time had actually come for war he was rather glad that he was young to fight.

“Follow me. Quickly Miracles. We must get as far away from Ambrym as possible tonight before we rest,” whispered Helena, the head Miracle. Young and the old all travelled  in the middle of the huddling group. The stronger women on the edge each with either a sword, bow or spear poised in both hands to fend off any ogres, beasts or worst of all, humans... After several hours of trudging through snow and rivers it was decided that those who are weak and tired should rest underneath the large pine tree and have 5 protectors. The stronger folk would carry on until they reached Athistle, land of the elves. Caspar was amongst those who continued even though he could feel is legs collapsing beneath him, he carried on because he was afraid to leave his mothers side while they were out in the open. Vulnerable. He stayed so he may protect her. Once they reached the towering wall of Athistle the sun was beginning to rise.

Caspar was the first to wake up the next morning his legs still in total agony from the events of the night before. Exhausted he pulled himself up using a low branch and headed out in search of water. It only took him a few minutes before he came across a small spring. It’s clear water glistening in the early morning sunshine. With cupped hands he bent down and scooped it up. “mmmmmmmmmmm” it was cool and refreshing on his throat. Once he got back he found many more awake, rubbing their aching mucles. “Caspar!” He turned to see his friend Amerika bolting towards him. She wrapped her pale arms around his neck. He breathed in her sweet aroma of honeysuckle.