Chapter One

Chapter 1

17 And Gone

* My soul is full of whispered song, my blindness is my sight, the shadows that I feared so long are all alive with light*     - Alice Cary

“Amina!” Angel’s voice broke through the shadows of my dream. I opened my eyes and stared into my sister’s eyes big, golden eyes. “Good your’e awake, come on we got to get you ready!”She said in an excited voice. I groaned and sat up. My room was darker then most in my village, but then again, so was I. I am the only Shadow fey left in our village. I have three siblings, my oldest brother Micah, my little sister (by three minuets) Alexa or Lex, and my other little sister (by 8 minuets) Angel. Me and my sisters are triplets, even though I don’t look much like either of them. My mother and father, Queen Carina, and King Raziel run our Kingdom, as they like to call it. But let’s not delve into that whole area of crazy, and get back to why Angel’s so damn excited. I do hate oh so much to admit, it’s my birthday. My 17th to be exact, since there are three of us they split the days, my party is the actual day we were born and Lex and Angel’s and the next two days after that. They make such a big deal of royal parties around here, any normal girl in my village would trade places with anyone of my sisters. But me, well I hate parties, I never was one to be very social. It’s not because I’m shy, I just don’t like people. Angel’s hand waved in front of my face bringing me out of thought. “We have to pick out your dress, something to bring out your eyes would be cool. You can borrow this one if you want.” She said holding up a grassy green strapless dinning dress. I admit, Angel did know me all to well, I LOVE green. The dress was gorgeous.

“It’s beautiful sis, thanks a bunch,” I stood, stretched and kissed her on the cheek.“Your’e a life saver.” I said and went behind the changing screen and worked my way into the dress. When I was done I stepped out from behind the screen.

“You would look great if only your hair wasn’t such a mess.” She giggled and patted the chair next to her. “Let’s get you all prettied up.” She drawled. I shrugged helplessly and slumped down next to her. She took forever deciding how to do my hair. She settled with it pulled back in an elegant french braid something only Angel could manage because my hair is incredibly long, almost past my butt. I glanced in the mirror and was dumbfounded. I looked, amazing. Angel really was brilliant. She had even added some black eyeliner and pale yellow eye shadow, which helped bring out the small slivers of gold in my eyes. I nodded my approval and we stepped out into the dim sunlight. I squinted even though it was sunset, and looked around. Everyone was waiting in the dining hall. Great, all eyes on me. I guess I should be used to it by now, everyone thinks I’m different, contagious though they never really had the courage to say anything to my face. One moment there would be glares, then with a sharp look from my father everyone would act cheerful. My father thought he always needed to protect me, to be honest I kinda like that. He treats me like I’m a small butterfly waiting for the right time to spread my wings and fly, he might have to wait a long time though. If the people couldn’t accept me now, how would they ever accept me as their queen? They wouldn’t stand for it, it’s like they all think I have a secret agenda to murder everyone in their sleep or something. Anyway, Angel looped her arm with mine and walked towards Lex who was waiting outside the hall for us. She had a silver off-the shoulder gown on, and was wearing silver metallic eye shadow, with a silver hair chain draped over her medium length midnight blue, wavy hair, that had a aquamarine-stone pendant shaped like a teardrop that dangled right in between her barely-there eyebrows, she looked beautiful with her white eyes that were tinged around in black, just as badass as always. Angel did too, I mean the beautiful part of course. She wore a white sundress, with traces of gold ribbons, a crown of sorts made of flowers, and a pale brown eye shadow, bringing out more of the brown in her intensely golden eyes. Lex looped her arm through my other and we entered the dining hall heads held high. All eyes went towards us. Some smiled, but I knew it wasn’t for me, it was fake, like all of them, fake to the core, and it disgusted me. We sat next to our parents on the right of my father was Micah who beamed a bright smile at me his bright blue eyes shining, this smile I knew at least was genuine making me smile, which was a large rarity. We ate a huge dinner. Then came the part I dreaded most, dancing. Father stood and approached me.