Prologue

It had rained at her parents' funeral. Lillian remembered little from the days before. Sirens, blue and red lights, a circus, and blood. Blood, everywhere. Her parents' bodies were covered in the stuff. Her mother's chest even had a knife sticking out of it. Then there was a big, shiney room with men wearing suits, saying a lot of big words like 'reasonable doubt' and 'coroner'. There was also a man there. Lillian was afraid of him. He was the one who had killed her parents. A man wearing a long black robe asked her a lot of questions. In the end, twelve people decided the man was guilty, and he was sentenced to death.

Lillian didn't remember the funeral very well either. Just a preacher talking, going out to a graveyard in the rain, and huddling close to Richard, her older brother, as she clutched his hand. After the funeral, everyone went to Lillian's aunt's home.

Cecilia Grayson was a tall, thin woman. People called her crazy. She lived all alone up on a hill. Her black hair was long, down to her waist, and curly. She was unnaturally pale, and her blue eyes seemed to take in everything.

Richard and Lillian now sat in the backseat of her car. Aunt Cecilia stared out the windshield nervously, gripping the steering wheel tightly. No one spoke. Lillian stared at her feet. After a bit, she felt Richard squeeze her hand. She looked up at him, and he smiled. Lillian smiled back. Everything would be okay. "Aunt Cecilia," Richard said softly. She stiffened a bit, then relaxed.

"What is it, baby," she asked.

"Who are we going to live with, now that Mama and Papa are gone?" Aunt Cecilia's hands tightened on the steering wheel. Lillian could see that her knuckles were white.

"I don't know Richard," she said. "We'll know when we go over the will." Richard nodded and looked out the window. Lillian looked at the floor again. An uneasy silence fell back over the car. It lasted until they got to Aunt Cecilia's house. When Aunt Cecilia started to drive up the hill, Lillian let out a squeak of fright and grabbed Richard's hand. "Don't worry," he murmured into her ear. "It'll be okay." Lillian nodded, but kept a firm grip on his hand.

There were some adults waiting on the porch when Aunt Cecilia pulled up. When they went inside, Aunt Cecilia walked Richard and Lillian up to the bedroom they would be staying in. "Make yourselves at home," she said, then left. Lillian helped Richard put away their clothes. Then they sat on the stairs and watched people come and go from the house. Some people carried dishes. Once everyone left, Aunt Cecilia called Richard and Lillian down to eat. She had a dark look on her face, and Lillian was positive that she had seen a man wearing a suit leave the house just as she had entered the kitchen.

"Who was that," Lillian asked.

"Pardon?" Aunt Cecilia said.

"Who was that," Lillian repeated, slightly louder.

"You'll have to speak up Lillian. I can't hear you."

"Who was that?"

"Who was who?"

"Who was that man wearing the suit that just left?"

"Him? He's your daddy's lawyer." Lillian frowned at Aunt Cecilia.

"Why was he here?"

"He was going through the will with me."

"What did it say?" Aunt Cecilia scowled and slammed a dish down. Lillian jumped.

"Don't worry about it, love. Just eat some diner." Lillian opened her mouth to say something else, but Richard shook his head. Lillian sat down and took a plate from Aunt Cecilia. There was spaghetti with little hot dogs in it, potato salad, rice, chicken, and garlic bread. Richard, Lillian, and Aunt Cecilia ate silently.

When the meal was over, Aunt Cecilia took their plates. "You should probably pack your stuff up," she said. "Your parents' will said that you couldn't stay with me, and I'm the only one who was willing to take you." Richard's eyes widened in horror.

"You can keep us," he said. "You can at least try, can't you?" Aunt Cecilia smiled sadly.

"No, baby, I can't. I'm sorry." Richard scowled.

"Save it," he said. Lillian frowned at her brother. He left the kitchen, pounding up the stairs. Lillian looked at Aunt Cecilia. "What's going to happen now," Lillian asked, worried.

"You'll go to an orphanage. Someone'll be here to pick you and Richard up in a day or two." Lillian nodded, fighting back tears. Aunt Cecilia gave her a hug. "Don't worry, love. Everything will be alright. Just you wait." Aunt Cecilia let go of Lillian, giving her a peck on the forehead. "Go upstairs and get ready for bed," she ordered. "You have a big day ahead of you."

***

The next morning, the orphanage head came to take Richard and Lillian away. Aunt Cecilia stood in the doorway of the car so it couldn't close. "Don't worry Lillian," she whispered. "The females in our family are strong." Aunt Cecilia pressed an object into Lillian's hand. "To protect you," Aunt Cecilia whispered. "Your power is strong. Use it wisely." Then she was gone, and the car door slammed shut. The orphanage head climbed into the front seat and began to drive. Lillian opened her hand. She was holding a pendant. It was beautiful. It was an orb cradled in a crescent moon on a silver chain. The orb seemed to swirl with blues and greens. Lillian undid the clasp, then fastened it around her neck with fumbling fingers. It rested on her breastbone. Lillian closed her eyes and rested her head on the back of her seat. Things couldn't get any worse. She was sure of it.