NINETEEN

"THIS IS GOING to be the best shut-in," Ruby exclaims as he fixes the collar of his vampire cloak. "But only if we follow protocol." He adds, causing everyone to groan.

"We know the drill, Ruby." Monse sighs with a roll of her eyes. "How is this year different than any year?"

I nudge her ribs with my elbow and she glances over at me with a curious look on her face. "Because Olivia is here this year." I clarify, winking at Ruby who rolls his eyes in response.

"Yes, this is about Olivia," Ruby says. I give Monse a knowing look, making her laugh. "There was magic in our first dance." He sighs contently, a faraway look in his eyes as he smiles. I roll my eyes and glance over my shoulder at Jamal, who's sitting at the table on his phone.

"Have you guys ever gone to Brentwood?" Jamal asks curiously, looking up from his phone to see who acknowledged his question. Ruby and Monse ignore him and continue conversing about Olivia and the shut-in.

With a sigh, I walk over to Jamal and sit down next to him. "Maybe once with Mario," I answer his question, looking down at his screen but he swiftly turns it away so I can't see it. "Why?" I raise my eyebrow skeptically.

"Just asking." He shrugs, putting his phone face down on the table. "How was it? You notice anything... odd?"

I scoff, "Nothing other than the fact that rich white people live there." He nods his head thoughtfully, frowning at the table. "What's this about Jamal?" I sigh, folding my arms over my chest.

He hesitates for a second, glancing around the room nervously. "You're not going to believe me."

"Try me, Turner."

"RollerWorld!" Jamal blurts and I look at him in surprise. "It's about RollerWorld."

"RollerWorld?" I ask confusedly. "You mean the myth about those Santos that hid fifty k?"

He shakes his head rapidly. "Not fifty k Camilla, two fifty!" My eyes widen and my arms fall from their place over my chest. Holy fuck, that's a lot of money.

"No way!" I whisper-yell, leaning across the table so Ruby and Monse won't hear us. They don't really believe the story anyway. "You find it yet?"

Jamal furrows his eyebrows and gives me a confused look. "Wait, you believe me?" He whispers as his eyes widen in shock.

"Uh yeah? Why wouldn't I?" I ask as I lean back in my chair. The cool leather rubs against my bare back and sends a shiver down my spine. Is this really a good outfit? Oscar would like it though.

"Because everyone else doesn't! They think I'm crazy." He sighs as he frowns at his phone, pulling me out of the thoughts of my boyfriend.

"Hey," I say slowly and softly, prompting him to look up at me. "I believe you, Jamal. I'll even help you find it." I smile at him as the front door swings open. I turn around and see Cesar walking in wearing a white robe of some sort along with a gold crown of leaves on his head. He's Julius Caesar, ironic.

"Shut-in!" He yells, closing the door behind him. He flashes me a smile as he looks me up and down, examining my costume. But there isn't much to examine. I'm dressed as princess Jasmine, which is just a turquoise two-piece outfit that reveals my entire stomach. "My brother seen that outfit yet?" He smirks at me but then gives Monse a weird look, before sitting down on the other end of the sofa that she's sitting on. I glance between him and Monse with a raised eyebrow but he waves me off, mouthing 'Later'.

"No, he hasn't seen it yet," I say, twisting my body so I'm facing him. "Ironic costume choice."

"Thank you for noticing." He smiles, holding his hand against his chest. "Means a lot Cami." I flash him a quick smile as the nickname brings back memories of Oscar. And for once, the memories that are playing in my head aren't bad ones.