FIVE | "I won't let him die."

Trigger warning:
Implied self-harm intention(?), broken mirror situation.

     Frank is tired, and in so much pain

     Frank is tired, and in so much pain. To see hurt, be hurt, and to hurt others.

     Staring at the picture that Laurie kept, he couldn't help but feel so much guilt. He lets out a sob. The girl, and her brother he couldn't protect. He's being selfish. "Yeah, I think I'm done, Red... I think I'm done." he admits to the man with horns. The siren of the police officers sounds as they pull up quickly. He clears his throat and weakly calls out. "Red?"

     Daredevil turns around. "What, Frank?"

     Frank holds the precious picture of Laurie, Timothy, and Maria up to Daredevil. This is his surrender. "Give this to her... the girl, she's still alive."

     Matt has no clue what to say, he's in shock to hear that he has one living relative. He leans down to grab the photo, Frank grabs his wrist with his other hand and yanks him down really close. This causes Matt to go down on one knee, and it gives the advantage for Frank to whisper in his ear. "Give this to her, and keep her safe, Red. I've made some enemies, now. You need to keep her safe... please Red. Don't let her pay that price." The man pleads to the devil.

     Matt pulls himself away from Frank, looking down at him in pity. He nods, "I'll watch her."

     Frank sighs in relief, and lets out a few tears. "Good... good." He closes his eyes, and lets the pain in.

     Frank isn't the only one who feels done with it all, the grief, the loss, the overwhelming presence of constant darkness. Laurie had to find out about Frank's arrest the same night as she got evicted from her apartment, and a begrudging trip down trauma lane. What a fucking night she has had. Laurie didn't even have to ask to stay at Karen's, it was offered. An offer as graciously took. After getting settled in for the night, Karen and Laurie watched whatever was on the news...

     It is a lie to say she was at all surprised, he couldn't have hinted more obvious. It didn't mean it hurt less.

     Laurie was so overwhelmed in the heat of the moment, she went to the bathroom. She took a long, harsh, cold stare at her broken form, into her misty dark eyes and let out a pained cry. The sound of her shriek was not a sad one, but an angry one.

     Mad at God, mad at the Devil, mad at Frank.

     Her red hot anger glared at her reflection as she pictures her father, pictured anyone- everyone who had ever hurt her. She stared at the weak person who let them.

     With a loud devastated scream, Laurie shattered the mirror with her fists. As if the brokenness wasn't satisfying enough, Laurie continued to bash against it. Determined to watch the breaking pieces fall out of the frame and into the sink below her. Determined to see the blood that her father wanted to see from her, from her mother, and even her little brother. Determined to bleed out the way she should have that day at the park with her family.

     If Karen weren't there, Laurie would have bled herself dry if she had the chance. Breaking the door down, Karen's heart was broken at the sight before her. She grabbed at Laurie after making sure she wasn't going to harm her or herself, then she pulled in the distressed teenager for an embrace she should have gotten long ago.

     Laurie wanted so much to believe that this was all a bad dream, that the last year never happened and that it was all a bad dream. The whole situation was much bigger than she could ever even anticipate, causing one of the biggest trials she ever has to face. She wants so badly to give up, tell the universe "you win" and never again try to pursue happiness or any kind of family again.

     But she couldn't let him go. Not like this.

     Not when she has so many things to say.

   Throughout the night, Laurie had put a lot of thought into what to do next, in what little way could she help Frank? So when it came to her, she waited until Karen woke up to hatch a plan. One phone call and a short walk later, they arrive at Murdock and Nelson. With only a vague explanation, Karen informs Foggy where she was yesterday.

     Of course Foggy didn't believe her, or whoever that other girl is, so when he sees the money in person, he nearly gasps. When Laurie dumps the stacks onto the table he lets out a chuckle. "Holy shit!" He laughs in disbelief and joy, then his smile drops. "Wait, this isn't blood money or anything, right?"

     Laurie tilts her head, considering. "Is my dead mother's trust fund considered blood money? When she died she left this for me in her will."

     Foggy shakes his head, "who are you?"

     She takes a shaky deep breath, "Laurie Priest."

     Foggy raises his eyebrow in question. "Okay, why are you hiring us to take up The Punisher's case?"

     Laurie and Karen trade glances, somewhat hesitant to give him the answer. Laurie swallows before answering. "Because I'm his goddaughter."

     Foggy takes a couple seconds to react. "Excuse me, what?"

     Karen deadpans. "She's Frank Castle's goddaughter, Foggy."

     Foggy is shocked, not really believing it. "I-I-I thought he didn't have any living relatives-?"

     Laurie laughs bitterly. "Barely." Foggy takes a minute to take in the unbelievable news. Laurie could imagine what she was asking him to do, she's far fetched, she knows, but she doesn't care. "Frank Castle is not what everyone is making him out to be. He's not cold-blooded." She defends.

     "So, he isn't the one murdering a bunch of criminals? A bunch of people?" He tests, Laurie almost recoils.

     "Foggy." Karen softly signals him to cool it.

     "I won't let him die." Laurie blurts out. "Yes, I understand what he's doing in wrong... I just-" Laurie has to swallow her emotions before she could cry them out. "He means too much to me, he's all I have left. My whole real family is dead!" She couldn't help it now, she shed a few tears. "And my father? Dead to me. So, you try having everything taken from you and fighting for what you have left, before you judge me for trying to keep Frank Castle alive." She wipes the tears she only notices after a sympathetic stare from the two. Laurie takes a deep breath, and swallows the lump in her throat, Frank wouldn't want her to cry for him. Glancing up at the pair, she's convinced that they won't take it.

After all, she's not asking them to defend The Punisher. She's pleading for them to defend Frank Castle. But at this point, Laurie is done begging.

"If you won't take it, I'll find someone that will." Laurie begins to dreadfully gather all the money back into her bag.

     As she piles the money in the bag, Foggy leans in. Laurie feels a set of hands on her own, she glances up and sees Foggy Nelson gazing back at her with a conflicted stare. "Okay." He simply says. "I'm sorry for questioning you, it was not my place to do so." He let her hands go and stood up straight. "We can help." He affirms.

     Laurie softens her glare, she takes a lengthy sigh before she stands up straight as well. She gives a glace to Karen who gives her a small smile. Foggy raises his voice to speak again. "It goes without saying that there are no promises... this is one hell of a case." He reminds with a forced laugh.

     Laurie nods, "I know."