Same Old Lamia

It was a dark night when Lamia and her brother Aladdin had decided to follow Abis Mal out to the desert to see what he was up to. Aladdin was excited but hadn't failed to notice how sad his sister seemed.

"You okay Lamia?" "Hm? Oh, yeah I'm fine." He eyed her for a second. "I am!" But she could tell by his slight frown that he didn't buy it. They were siblings, they were supposed to tell each other everything, but what bothered her now...that was a secret she was willing to take to the grave.

It had been only a year since the adventure that got Aladdin the hand of the princess and Lamia second in line for the throne, but in her mind it seemed like much longer. Every day that had passed since the one of Jasmine's birthday was pure torture, every night only increased her misery. She longed to be held into the arms that treated her with such animalistic desire, the lips that never waited for permission to claim a kiss, sometimes she had dreams in the late Arabian nights that made her wake up craving that velvety voice...

She shook her head sharply, biting her lower lip. No, no more guilt trip. It happened and it's over with, you can't go back and change the past, only look to the future. But as she looked up at the stars above while stroking Lura's brow, it accrued to her how they lovingly sparkled, like the eyes that had haunted her for so many nights. "We're here." In that moment she had never been so thankful for her brother's timing.

They landed Carpet behind a tall stone column, pausing only briefly before slipping out after Abis Mal and his thieves. "I still don't see why I had to come along, you could've done this fine on your own." "I'm not the one who was Abis Mal's favorite obsession for three years." She rolled her eyes, a pit of dread growing in her stomach. They carefully slipped inside and waited for the proper moment, finally Lamia stepped out.

"Hello Abis Mal." The fat man halted and whirled around, instantly turning red in the face. "Lamia!" She cringed at the eager way he said her name, bringing back memories she wished could've been completely forgotten. Abis Mal and Lamia indeed had a slight relationship, they had meet one market day on which he was so enchanted by her beauty that every other weekend when he rode through down he made sure to drop something lovely at her doorstep. It was a sweet gesture but he wasn't her type, no where even close.

"What are you doing?" "Oh you know, thieving here, breaking laws there. What about you? I haven't seen my market beauty in a long time." Two years ago the nickname would've had a slight effect on her, now it only deepened her inner sorrow. "You know, we never get to talk much without that pesky brother of yours around." She smiled slowly. "He has a tendency of never being very far behind me." And that's when her sibling sprang, when she let her innocent demeanor fall away and drew a dagger from her skirt to defend herself.

The battle was short and sweet, just the way she liked it, and the men were rather taken back at how well she was with her dagger, she couldn't help laughing at the stunned faces which of course only angered them to fight harder. Soon Aladdin grabbed the bags of gold and took to the air on Carpet. Lamia had just pinned Abis Mal to the floor when she spotted the jeweled flower in his scarf belt.

"Ooh pretty." She grabbed it to hold aloof. "I'll take it." Tucking her dagger back in her skirt, she leaned forward and peered down at the fat man she had her foot propped up against.

"That's the problem with you Abis Mal; you can't take a hint. I never actually said I hated you, and I enjoyed your gifts, but that doesn't mean I'm your wife or something. Now do me a major favor and try to stay out of my life okay?" She stood back up and lady waved at him, using every finger. "Bye bye!" And raising her hand higher, Aladdin grabbed it and she was pulled onto their flying friend, wrapping one arm around his waist and using the other to make a face at the thieves. "See ya Abis Mal, if you see me at the market don't bother to say hello!" The men all yelled while the two street rats rode off laughing all the way. But as Lamia's laughter faded, the haunting red eyes returned and her own brown ones clouded over with sorrow.