godspeed

───
I will always love you how I do,
let go of a prayer for you
───

───I will always love you how I do,let go of a prayer for you───

Aurora, 11 years old

"Between my hands, class, lies a list of what the National Geographic contends to be man's five greatest innovations."

Aurora watches nervously from her seat as Mr. Conners roams the classroom in what seems to be an aimless manner, but what they know really to be him staking out his next claim.

"Five," he repeats, more softly this time. "Over the vast expanse of human existence... Any idea what they might be?"

The class remains silent, save for the rain pouring heavily against the second-story window. He raises his brows excitedly, as if trying to incite the same energy into the rest of them. "Mr. Depalma?"

Anthony Depalma's face pales visibly. He pulls at the collar of his uniform before turning to face Mr. Conners at the back of the class.

"One of mankind's greatest inventions, please," he repeats.

Anthony swallows nervously before stuttering out, "The... airplane?"

"Try again."

"The radio?"

"Wrong. Mr. Cravero?"

Joshua Cravero turns over his shoulder to face him, a breath of relief as the other sixteen students thank whatever God they believe in. He glances down at the wood-paneled floor, his mind working quickly behind his eyes.

"Vaccination?" Joshua offers, eyes wide with hope.

"Courtesy of Dr. Edward Jenner, 1796." Mr. Conners nods affirmatively, not bothering to look at the list in his hands. "A noble pursuit. But can anyone tell me what the purpose was, of the first vaccine? Miss Johansen?"

Lydia's eyes light up with the enjoyment which comes only from knowing an answer in Mr. Conners class with eighty-five percent certainty. One could never be more sure than that.

"To prevent disease."

"And how would it do that?"

"By creating immunity."

"For who?"

"Everyone."

"Wrong." Mr. Conners' voice resonates loudly through the classroom, as he offers a somewhat empathetic smile. "But thanks for playing, anyway. Who did vaccines create immunity for?"

Silence as the class glances nervously amongst each other.

Aurora tucks her shaking hands further into the fabric of her uniform sweater. Slowly, as to not attract attention. Her other classes at Concord Prep, the ones with the kids her age, they never made her so nervous like this.