Enter Luke Lyons

It didn't help that he had the same last name as a French city.

It didn't help that both his surname and his name started with L.

It didn't help that he was constantly being called "French boy."

It didn't help that he had ADHD.

It didn't help that he had a humongous crush on the one and only Adele Dixon, the resident genius girl at Oakwood Academy.

"Hey, french boy!" Duncan Tillman shouted. "Your mama picking you up for a brain check?" beside him, a few students snickered. Luke tried to ignore them as he opened his locker. "Hey, french boy! If you ain't gonna answer me maybe you need a brain check and an ear check. Maybe you'll find yourself in need of some hearing aids." Luke gritted his teeth and whirled around to face Duncan. "It's called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Tillman. didn't you listen in science class? Oh wait, your brain is way too small to process that information." he pushed him aside and headed to art.

Luke sat down and sighed heavily. "Hey man." Luke looked up and saw his best friend, Bradley Johnson. "Hey." He replied warily and patted the seat next to him. Bradley sat down. "Life sucks." "Tell me about it. But hey, we still got each other. That's what best friends are for, right?" Luke smiled, grateful for finding a friend in Bradley and for Bradley for standing up for him when he was too weak to stand up for himself.

Luke scanned the room, to find his eyes rest on Adele Dixon. She was beautiful in her own way. She wasn't a selfish snob like the other girls. She was always fixated on her studies, and never really cared for anything distracting. Especially boys. Which was both good and bad for him. Adele had slightly wavy long chocolate brown hair that cascaded over her shoulders and sparkling eyes. just then, the teacher, Marcus Whiting, strode into the room. "attention, class." Luke tore his eyes away from her and focused onto the whiteboard. he saw the words "shadows and no shadows." he squinted slightly, and for a minute, was slightly confused. art was never his best subject, despite his father and his older brother being artists. he always thought he would become an engineer. He was never described as 'arty' or 'artistically magnificent', despite his father's protests of him having hidden talent. Well, Luke just didn't see what was so great about art. The only reason he had to take it, was:

1. He had to go through art to graduate.

2. The other subject he could learn was Geography. And no one wanted that.

3. His dad would kill him if he didn't take art.

4. He could stare at Adele for a whole period.

"Mr. Lyons. Mr. Lyons!" Whiting yelled. Luke snapped out of his daze as the teacher called his name. He heard a few boys snickering at the back of the room. Out of the corner of his eye he could see that one of them were Duncan. Luke shrunk into his seat. "Yes, Mr. Whiting?" He said, fidgeting with his fingers. "Have you handed in your report on Steampunk Art yet? Or are you going to just sit there and wait until I put you in Homework Club again?" Mr. Whiting said, face emotionless. The boys snickered again. "Tillman, if you think a fellow student not handing in his assignment is so funny, maybe I should give you a trip to the Guidance Counsellor." Mr. Whiting warned. The boys shut up, Duncan going red in the face. "I've done my assignment, Mr. Whiting. It's in my locker." Luke said. Mr. Whiting sighed. "Okay. Go get it. Here's your Hall Pass." He said, handing the laminated paper to Luke. He got up and left the room, sparing a glance at Adele, who was talking to one of her friends, smile lighting up Luke's face. The wonders a girl could do to a boy by just one look. He thought as he reached for the door knob.