Chapter 25

Milena

She watches the sunrise from the front porch of the Eallard residence while sipping her morning tea, a beverage that her professor has given her the taste for.

"Someone's an early riser." Radley takes a seat next to Milena with Sean in his arms.

"Not usually, Cedric just snores," Milena says.

Radley laughs, "According to his mothers, that's my fault."

"Like father, like son."

Sean starts whimpering in his father's arms. "Shhh," Radley says while rocking the child.

"When did you have Sean?"

"Let's see...he's about eighteen months so we got him a little over a year ago."

"Don't you mean eighteen months ago?"

"Oh, no. I'm sorry, I thought Cedric told you. Sean's adopted."

Milena holds back her gasp, "...he is?"

Radley nods, "I know it's strange, especially for a place like this. A carriage had come through here with from POWs from the north. There was a young girl with a child that she would never let leave her arms. We heard that one of the officers had spent some quality time with her and nine months later she gave birth. She had accepted a small piece of bread from Lily who didn't know any better. The officers made this whole show about how her baby was taking up extra resources. Cedric stopped them before they could hurt Sean and we've had him ever since."

"Cedric stopped them?"

"He's gutsy, I'll give him that. It makes me real worried sometimes. Especially now that he's going to be a demon hunter. He has a heart bigger than his brain. Still, I'm glad he found himself a group that seems to keep him out of trouble."

Milena laughs nervously, "Something like that."

"...would you like to hold him?" Radley asks about Sean.

"Oh, I don't know if I should. I've never held a baby before."

Radley chuckles, "You'll be fine. Here."

He places Sean in Milena's arms and adjusts her hands.

"Make sure to support the head," Radley says.

Milena nods as she looks at the smiling bundle. Now that she can get a good look at him, Milena can easily spot the differences between Sean and the rest of his family. From his dark skin to his almost black eyes to his rounded face. She brings him closer to her chest as she slowly rocks him back and forth. Milena gushes at the sight of Sean yawning.

"He's so cute," Milena says.

"I'm sure he'll be beating girls off with a stick. Just like his brother and old man." Radley laughs.

"So that's the kind of guy Cedric is."

"Nahh. It's nothing more than a joke. He was in a relationship with Delilah for quite a while. Other girls knew better than to try."

"Right, his ex," Milena says with disappointment.

"Yeah, it's a shame. The two of them were good together."

"So I've heard."

"Violet says that you just went through a breakup yourself."

"A few months ago, yeah. I haven't thought about it much. I couldn't stand the guy so it hasn't been a problem for me."