4

It was as hideous as the last one had been, possibly even more. Poofy skirt and sleeves, decorated in ribbons and silken bows and glittering things-- white, of course. This wedding dress wasn't quite a twin to the other-- was more extravagant, even. As if taunting the Night Court. As if it were a way to proclaim a victory they didn't actually have.

I forced a smile on my face, but Ianthe saw through it, and her own smile faded. "You don't like it," she said in a faltering voice, her face appropriately shadowed by the cowl of her hood. I didn't know why she'd bothered keeping it up, but she had. I didn't really care either way anymore. It wasn't like it would stop me from killing her before I left.

I shrugged. "No. But it's a message-- anyone can see that. I'll wear it."

Ianthe's eyes positively sparkled. "You're going to be such a beautiful bride, Feyre," she assured me.

Yes. Especially since I'm not so gaunt and afraid this time. I felt my face flush in anger, but Ianthe beamed, mistaking it for an embarrassed blush.

Three weeks. Three weeks until this stupid wedding. Three weeks of putting up a front as a blushing, happy bride. I felt my mood darken just a little.

"Let's take a break!" Ianthe said with a smile, noticing my sudden change of mood. "It's close to supper, anyway."

We left the room to go to the dining hall. Lucien was there, but Tamlin was nowhere to be seen. Lucien gave Ianthe a quick, wary smile, and looked up at me with narrowed eyes. He was so suspicious, so paranoid-- not that I blamed him. I'd shown no sign of fear or hatred when Tamlin mentioned the Night Court those first few times-- it wasn't until Tamlin mentioned that I seemed almost unfeeling when he talked about it that I realized, and I ended up making an excuse that I was "blocking off my emotions" or something like that. He and Ianthe had bought it. Lucien? Not so much.

"Feyre," Lucien acknowledged, bowing his head quickly, but there was a promise in his mismatched eyes: I will reveal who you are. Maybe not today, or even this year-- but one day, you'll slip, and I'll be there. Protective of his friend, his High Lord. It was admirable enough that I couldn't bring myself to hate him. And, out of all the people that could have been mates with Elain... Well, there were certainly worse. It certainly didn't mean I approved-- I was with Nesta on that one-- but I'd rather it be him than someone like Tamlin.

"Hello, Lucien," Ianthe said brightly. I was just about done with her preppiness, and I was oh, so desperate to knock out a few of her teeth. It'd be wonderful.

At least there was one thing Lucien and I could agree on: as Ianthe greeted him, we met eyes again and I could see his irritation.

He broke our locked gazes quickly, nodded at her, and said to both of us, "Tamlin will be here late. He's meeting with Hybern right now." Wonderful. Even Ianthe winced a bit at those words-- as if she wasn't the one who told Hybern about my sisters. As if she weren't his beloved pet. I might not have hated Lucien, but my hatred for Ianthe was limitless.

"Well," I said, "do you know how long it will be?"

Lucien shook his head. "Probably a while. You're free to go for a bit, if you'd like." The way he worded it reminded me of someone releasing a monster from her shackles momentarily.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I went back to my room-- not Tamlin's-- and snatched a small piece of paper from the nightstand. It had only two words printed on it in looping, elegant letters: Any news?

I began writing. I kept it short and to the point. My mate and I would save the pleasantries for when we were together again. Tamlin's meeting with Hybern. I'll get you the intel the moment he's back. Ianthe's planning to marry me and Tamlin on the Eve of the Summer Solstice. This dress is worse than the last one.