Chapter Ten

It was the morning that Rona would leave for the Mediterranean. Rona had been waiting for this day for what felt like years. She had never had the chance to leave Kattegat apart from her occasional visits to Hedeby. Now she was going to be travelling across the world! 

Rona woke up at dawn, she had some chores on the farm to complete before she left. Ubbe had offered to tend to Rona's farm while she was away along with Sigurd but Rona wanted to make sure that her animals were all alright before she left. 

Rona woke from her slumber relatively quickly and actually completed her chores in record time.

After Rona had completed her chores she returned to her house to get changed in preparation before her journey. Rona wanted to say goodbye to Ragnar before she left. She had heard from Ubbe that he would be on the hilltops where he could watch Bjorn's fleet leave. So Rona had decided to go to the hilltop where she knew Ragnar would be.

*

When Rona reached the hilltops, she saw Ragnar and Ivar was sat with him on a rock. Ragnar was on his hands and knees on the ground. It looked like he was digging for something. 

Rona made her way over to Ragnar and Ivar, while doing so she looked at her surroundings, attempting to take everything in. After her conversation with Hvitserk the previous night, Rona had started to think. What if she didn't return to Kattegat? What if she did end up dying in battle? Rona was in a sentimental mood but she knew that she would have to get going soon, so she didn't linger for long before going up to Ragnar and Ivar. 

Rona noticed as she grew closer that Ragnar was in fact digging for something. Then Rona remembered. This was where Ragnar had buried his hoard of riches years ago. This hoard was meant to go with him to Valhalla when it was finally his time. 

"Why are you digging up your hoard Ragnar?" Rona asked. Ivar smirked.

"That's just what I was saying." Ivar stated. Ragnar chuckled and turned to face Rona and Ivar.

"I have no choice," Ragnar began, he went back to digging. "I have to bribe people to sail with me." Ragnar finished. Ivar smirked again and threw his hands up in the air.

"You're a loser!" Ivar exclaimed. Rona nudged Ivar in the ribs with her elbow.

"Ivar!" Rona hissed. 

"What?" Ivar whined. Rona just shook her head in response. 

"Why don't you come and help me lift, cripple boy?" Ragnar asked as a matter of factly. Ivar laughed as did Rona. 

Ragnar began unearthing a wooden chest. There was already many valuable items scattered across the area but it seemed that Ragnar had more where that came from. Rona volunteered herself to assist Ragnar despite the fact she wasn't asked. Ivar dragged himself towards the hole with Ragnar while Rona carefully climbed down. 

Ivar had his hand on one side of the chest while Ragnar took the other and Rona had her hands underneath the chest to support the majority of the weight. As the chest was being dragged form the hole, Ragnar patted Ivar on the head.

"Good boy." Ragnar joked as he patted his son on the head. Rona smirked.

The three managed to drag the chest form the hole relatively easily and put it to one side. 

After a few moments, Rona looked to the sky. The sun was nearing the middle of the horizon. This indicated that Bjorn's ships would be leaving soon. Rona knew that she would have to start saying her goodbyes now.Ivar sat on top of a nearby rock while Ragnar and Rona sat close by.