𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐊 𝐅𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐑

𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

THE SUN HAD JUST SET, reflecting beautifully in the blue ocean waves. A ship bobbed calmly up and down in the water, the soft creaking of the wood going up in the sounds around it. The docks were filled with people: fishermen, servants, civilians and royalty. All there to see the departure of her Majesty the Queen and her son.

There were children present, clinging to their mother's legs and father's hands, afraid of letting go, afraid of losing themselves in the gathering crowd. But one wasn't bothered by the many faces, of the rustling and yelling that came with it. To the contrary, her eyes were wide as she took in everything happening around her. From the brawny sailors that carried wooden boxes onto the ship to the seagulls that floated easily on the wind and in the water. They were so busy darting around she almost hadn't noticed the soft hand on her shoulder.

It was her mother's, she could tell by the soft but firm grip. She followed the hand with her eyes, up to her forearm, until they rested on her face. The small smile she received from her was enough to know she wasn't in trouble, but that the hand was meant to keep her near. Maybe her mother differed in some aspects to other mothers, but that same protectiveness was always present. It wasn't unusual for the girl to wander off and get lost in crowds. 

Though she often gave her parents a lot to worry about, the girl was not scared. Crowds, getting lost, it didn't bother her, but if there was one thing that the girl was afraid of, it was losing her mother's comfort to the ocean.

Though her eyes had wandered over the vast blue sea and the, in her eyes, gigantic ship that lay docked in front of them, she had tried her best to prevent thinking about it for as long as she could.

"What's on that mind of yours," hummed the woman behind her, squeezing her shoulder a little. "I can never figure that out."

"The ocean." She let out a deep sigh, which made her mother chuckle softly and kneel down in front of her.

"Isn't it thrilling?" Her whispers were only meant for her ears, she knew. Her father wasn't far from them, she saw him speaking to his sons, both his hands on one of their arms. Whenever she and her mother whispered it was usually to hide it from her father, and often about adventures.

"I just wish I could come with you," muttered the brunette softly.

"Oh Muriel," breathed out Nain, the Queen of Archenland, as she pulled her daughter in for a short hug. "You will one day, I promise." She offered her little finger and giggled along with her daughter when they made their famous pinky promise.

Ever the adventurer, Muriel was quick to take a hold of her mother's whole hand and started dragging her nearer to the ship, where her father and two brothers stood. One of them was watching the ship with a pained expression on his face while the other laughed as he watched them approach. She knew immediately that the latter was Dar. Some struggled to keep the royal twins apart, but not Muriel, she knew her brothers better than anyone else. This was also the reason why she released her mother's hand and threw her arms around Dar's waist.