Epilouge: Light

Epilouge: Light

----------

My family is my strength and my weakness.

~Aishwarya Rai Bachchan

----------

Two Months Later:

Henry and I are in his favorite pub. Henry’s sipping something that looks like whiskey. I’m nursing water.

“I could make the sacrifice for you,” I say.

“You mean that, don’t you?” he asks. “You trust me that much.”

I nod, “Absolutely.”

Henry sighs and pushes away his now empty glass. “Here’s the thing, TJ. We’re different. I was born different. You were made. I’m meant to be this way.”

I stare at him, incredulous. “You’ve wanted to get rid of this forever.”

“I’ve made peace with it. I’m not a monster anymore, I’m in between. It’s…it’s a part of me. Always. Besides, I can’t leave the rest of them. I created them, essentially, back when I didn’t have as much control. And a lot of them don’t have anyone to make the sacrifice. Besides, we’re respected now, in thanks to you. Now that I’ve got some political standing, maybe our place in this world can change.”

“What about Mom?” I ask.

Genuine pain comes in dark blue swirls. “After all I’ve done to hurt her, I don’t think I can go back.”

“Mom loves you, Henry,” I say.

He shakes his head. “And she knows I love her. That’ll have to be enough.”

I move on, knowing he won’t change his mind. Yet.

“I asked you to meet me here for a reason,” I say.

“For what?” he asks, rapping his knuckles for another drink.

“I thought I should deliver this in person,” I say, and hand him the invitation. It’s sealed in a pristine white envelope, with his name in my messy handwriting instead of the professional calligraphy.

He stares at it for a moment, a suspicious look on his face. Then he tears it open. “You are formally invited to the…” His eyes widen, “No way.”

“Yes, way, little bro,” I say. I can’t help the big grin that splits my face. This is the happiest I have ever been. “Are you coming?”

“I don’t suppose I can get out of it,” he says.

“I would have to kill you if you didn’t come to my wedding,” I say.

“Mom will be there,” he says suddenly.

“Are you going to let that stop you?” I ask.

He frowns at the invitation, “No,” he says slowly.

“There. We’re making progress,” I say.

“What’re you going to name the baby?” he asks, accepting his next drink and taking a sip.

I push him. He nearly falls off of the barstool, spraying his mouthful of whiskey all over the counter. “We’re not there yet. Don’t rush it.”

He can’t muffle the laugh that surfaces as he wipes his mouth with his sleeve. After all of this, we are still brothers.

The monster is gone now, in each of us. We got rid of it in our separate ways. For some people, fighting their demons is easy. For me, it was the toughest thing I have ever done in my entire life. Defeating my monster meant getting back my brother, the woman I love, and my life. It meant forgiving my father and the creature that cursed him. It meant letting go. And I have.

It sounds crazy to say it, but looking back I’m glad for those five bullets and the one who pulled the trigger. They helped me find what matters most.

----------

Well, it wasn't five seconds, but it was today. That has to count for something, right?

Anyway, that's the last of it. Thank you SO MUCH for reading. Please vote and comment and tell me what you think.

As always, point out any and all mistakes and discrepancies.