Prologue

"I want to thank you," Skywatcher meowed solemnly. "You have rebuilt the lost Clan."

"There's no need for thanks," Firestar replied. "I did only what I had to." Skywatcher nodded, blinking thoughtfully. "Do you think you have been a good leader for ThunderClan?"

The question startled Firestar, and at first he wasn't sure how to reply. "I don't know," he mewed at last. "It hasn't been easy, but I've always tried to do what is right for my Clan."

"No cat would doubt your loyalty," Skywatcher agreed. "But how far would it go?"

Puzzled, Firestar stayed silent. Why was Skywatcher asking him about ThunderClan?

"There are difficult times ahead," Skywatcher went on, "and your loyalty will be tested to the utmost. Sometimes the destiny of one cat is not the destiny of the whole Clan." Firestar tipped his head to one side. Nothing Skywatcher said was making sense. Was ThunderClan in trouble? He had left them in peace, but that was several moons ago. What would happen to a leaderless Clan with rivals like ShadowClan around?

Skywatcher rose to his paws; his eyes blazed with reflected moonlight. For a heartbeat Firestar was sure he could see the glitter of stars tangled in his fur. The old cat's voice was soft, but charged with power, stronger than it had been before.

"Your Clan is safe for now. But there will be three, kin of your kin, who hold the power of the stars in their paws." (Entry from Firestar's Quest, pages 338 and 339)

Firestar woke up with a start from the memory. It took a while, but he realized that he was safely back in his nest.

He lifted his head to look out of the Highledge. He could see all of camp from this height. He watched as his daughter, Squirrelflight, padded out of the nursery to greet Brambleclaw. She recently had his kits, though strangely, she had no milk for them, and carried on with her warrior duties. Ferncloud had to take care of Jaykit, Hollykit and Lionkit.

There will be Three, kin of your kin, who hold the power of the stars in their paws, the prophecy that Skywatcher had told him still rang in his mind.

I pray that I am wrong, but I think the Three have come.