I could listen to you all night

As Danny stepped back outside with two cold beers in his hands, the soft wind carried a familiar sound to his ears, a sound he hadn't heard in a while.
Steve was playing the guitar again.

He hadn't been playing lately. He'd been too busy trying to get the restaurant started while dealing with nerve-wracking cases.
In fact, Danny had begged him to take a day off, get some rest. He was worried Steve might explode if he went on like this for one more day.

Danny walked over as quietly as possible, trying not to interrupt the soft melody that surrounded Steve like a bubble that could easily pop.
He sat down in his chair next to his partner and buried his toes in the sand, still warm from the scorching Hawaiian sun.
He closed his eyes and listened. And listened. And listened.

Danny had almost fallen asleep when the music suddenly stopped. His head shot back up. "Steve?" he asked sleepily.

"Hm?" Steve looked out at the moon's shimmering reflection on the surface of the ocean.

"Why did you stop?" Danny's voice sounded almost accusing.

Steve took a sip of his beer. "You fell asleep. I was gonna finish my beer and then go back inside."

"And what, you were gonna leave me out here?" Danny frowned.

"I was going to get you a blanket!"

"I don't care about your blanket, Steve, I was trying to say don't stop playing." Danny suddenly had this vulnerable look in his eyes. "Because when you stop playing, I don't know when you're gonna pick that thing up again, and honestly, I could listen to you all night."

Steve nodded slowly, eyes fixed on the horizon. He picked up his guitar and started to play. He played every song he knew, and he didn't stop even when Danny had fallen asleep.