Chapter 12: ABOUT TIME

Pete stood on the footpath gazing at the Home for Sale sign. Since when had Stella started to think about moving? She had the house looking tidy enough. The gardens needed a little attention, but that was no deal breaker for anyone serious about buying. Similar for sale signs had sprung up all over town this past year. The problem was that no one was buying.

It took him several minutes before he ventured to open the gate. He slammed it shut harder than he intended. That was when he heard a screech from inside the house.

The front door flew open and Summer ran down the path to leap into his bear hug. He swung her around in a circle before letting her gently to the ground. Stella stood on the front doorstep smiling warmly at him.

He was moved. As he walked up the porch steps with his hand in his daughter's, he caught the uncertainty in Stella's eyes, but to his relief, the smile remained.

"Hi, Pete."

"Hey, Stella," he said, and he remained where he stood.

He had imagined it would be a little easier once they were face to face. Yet, here he was. Unsure what to do or say.

"Can I come inside?" He asked his wife.

"Of course," Stella replied with a nervous giggle, her hand at her mouth. "I'll make us a cuppa."

She stood there a moment longer. "It's good to see you, Pete."

He sat on Stella's tattered couch and gazed around the living room. He tried to avoid looking directly at the cracked wood front of the cabinet opposite where he sat. He saw Stella's glassware, cups, saucers, and silver spoons behind the glass had survived. A jumble of bits and pieces she had collected over the years.

More than two years had passed since that night he threw her against the cabinet. It was the first time he had done anything like it and it was the last. He left the house of his own accord the very next day after it occurred to him the next time he might do worse.

Summer was perched on a chair at the end of the table, a grin plastered on her face.

"I would have thought you'd be out with your friends on a Saturday," he ventured.

"I've been waiting for ages to see Mom and you together. I wasn't going to miss it for the world."

"Pete's visiting, love," her mother called from the kitchen. "We are not back together yet."

"It's taken some time for me to work up the courage," Pete called out, stifling a cough with the edge of his hand. "Summer, clear those magazines off the coffee table in the corner and bring it over to your dad," Stella told Summer as she brought in a tray with two mugs of hot tea. "And find me some placemats, will you?"

Stella pulled over a battered chair and sat opposite Pete. She glanced at Summer. That precocious smile was beginning to annoy her.

"Sum, sweetie, do you think you could go outside for a while? Pete and I have stuff to talk over."

"What am I supposed to do outside?"

"Go on a bike ride," Stella told her daughter. "Go visit your friend down the street. What's her name?"

"Tara."

"Yeah. Go see Tara."

"Dunno if she's home."

"For goodness' sake! Your dad and I need time to talk—alone!"

"Awl, Mom!" Summer protested, looking hopefully from Stella to Pete. "I want to stay with the two of you!"