chapter seven

*Revised on January 12th, 2020

John Laurens

After Alex and I were done eating lunch at the caf, we headed back to the dorm. We wanted to go to the football field again that night to look at the stars, but it wasn't dark yet. It was only one-forty-five in the afternoon.

"I'm bored." I said when we got back. I slumped down on the couch.

"Have any homework?" Alexander asked.

"Yes, but I don't want to do it." I complained.

"You'd better get a head start on it so you don't fall behind." Alexander said.

"You're right." I said before sighing, "Kill me now."

"No, thanks." He responded with a smile.

I smiled back before begrudgingly finding my laptop and beginning to write notes for Environmental Science and General Biology.

Eventually, after hours of doing various assignments and talking to Alex here and there, the sun was finally starting to set.

"Hey, it's getting dark. You wanna go here in a bit?" I asked Alex. He nodded. I felt so lazy just sitting there the whole day.

We got our shoes on and were soon out the door.

When we got to the field, we lay down next to each other, similar to last time, although we were closer this time.

"How do you feel about my friends?" I asked him out of the blue, "It seems like you're getting along well."

"I like them a lot." He said, "They're all so diverse, whether it be their ethnicity or sexuality or anything else. As a bisexual kid from the Caribbean, it's really nice to finally be accepted. This is the first time in my life I've actually had friends and people that care about me."

Wait, bisexual? I thought to myself, then smiled, "Yeah, they're awesome. I mean, I'm white as hell, but I'm super gay and it's nice to have people that accept you for who you are."

I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye. I then turned my gaze toward him. He was in awe by the stars.

I then took his hand in mine. His head snapped to look at me in surprise, then his expression softened as he looked back up at the sky.

There was a comfortable silence.

We just lay there, hand-in-hand, neither of us saying a word. We were enjoying the beautiful night, in each others company.

"This is nice," Alexander almost whispered, his voice soft.

I nodded.

Then after a brief moment of silence again, I spoke up, "When did you realize you were bi?"

"Oh, um..." Alex thought, sitting up but not letting go of my hand, "I think when I was thirteen. I can't really remember."

"What made you realize it?" I asked, turning my head to look at him.

"I had a stupid crush on this guy in Nevis." Alex chuckled as he lightly shook his head, "He was my best friend. Then I tried kissing him or something and he just screamed in my face and called for help. I don't know, it was stupid... we were kids."

"Do you still talk to him?" I asked.

He shook his head and cleared his throat, "No... he actually... he died in the hurricane."

"Oh, I'm sorry-"

"No, don't be." Alex said, cutting me off, "It happened a long time ago. Well, only two years ago, but it feels longer than that."

I didn't know what to say, but Alexander broke the silence again.

"How about you? When did you realize you were gay?" He asked.

"I was nine. Maybe ten." I began, "I just... I never liked girls, ever since I could talk."

Alex nodded. I continued.

"I never really had a crush until I was fourteen or fifteen, but I just... I just knew I wasn't straight. It felt like there was this huge force that just kept telling me I was gay. I tried denying it for a while, but it was loud enough in the end. I'm accepting of it now, and it helps that I met Laf and Herc... and you, Alex." I said, smiling at him, "You're all so accepting."

He smiled, then looked back up.

"The only person that doesn't accept me is my father, but right now I don't have to worry about him. The only things I have to worry about right now are myself, my studies, and my social life." I said, then joked, "Well, I barely have a social life, but you know what I mean."

He laughed.

"John! Alex!" Two voices shouted all of a sudden, startling us. We looked over and saw Lafayette and Hercules sprinting toward us.

"Hey guys!" I said, waving them over, finally letting go of Alex's hand.

Instead of going through the gate, they jumped over the small chain-link fence, Laf almost falling on his face in the process.

They sat across from us on the grass. Herc was eating out of a snack sized bag of chips.

"What's up?" I asked.

"We were just on a walk when we saw you, mon ami." Laf said, "We thought we'd come over and say bonsoir."

I glanced at Alex who had a small smile on his face as he listened to the conversation.

"Nice." I bluntly responded.

"What about you guys?" Herc asked, his mouth full.

"We were just talking," I began, then pointed upward, "and looking at space."

"Cool."

"How are you liking King's so far, Alexander?" Laf asked.

"It's alright." He said, his voice soft.

Laf hummed in response, then asked, "How are classes going?"

"Fine, so far. It's only been a couple of days." Alex said.

Then there was a moment of silence. Alexander broke it again, "So what are your majors?"

"Fashion marketing." Herc said.

"Communications." Laf said.

Alexander nodded in response.

"Do you guys have any plans for the weekend?" Herc asked.

"No." I answered, "Do you?"

Herc shook his head, then flattened his chip bag, poured the crumbs into his mouth and set it aside.

"Did you want to do something?" I asked.

"If you want, it's not a big deal." Herc said.

"What did you have in mind?" Alexander asked.

"There's this movie I kinda want to see." Herc said, "It's the horror one about the chick with telekinesis."

"I saw the preview for that one, it looks good." John said, "What do you think, Alex?"

"Sounds fun." He said with a shrug.

"Laf?" Herc asked.

"Of course I will go." Lafayette said, smiling.

"Yes! Okay, I'll text you guys with details." Herc said.

"Sounds good." I said.

"Do you want me to invite the Schuylers?" Herc asked.

"Let's just make it a guys night." I said, "Or better yet, gays night."

Herc, Laf and Alex began to laugh. I soon joined in.

Life was good.

/a/n sorry this chapter was uneventful :/

next one should be better

thanks for reading though, and thanks for 100 reads!!! love u

-emily