30. Progress

Chapter 30: Progress

Sam

I wasn't sure how it happened, but somehow we ended up at a lawyer's office. Dad and Poppa were both inside with the lawyer. I was only here - forced to stay in the waiting room - because I insisted I come with them. I wish I would have known that I'd be sitting outside before I threw that fit to come.

After Sarah had broken into our house the other day - proof of which we discovered later when we found the handle of the back door broken - Dad was finally able to convince Poppa that Sarah was definitely not fit to be raising Regal. Now they were both on the same page, hoping that they can bring her into our family. I was really hoping this would work out, at least before Regal could be too influenced.

Sinking into the uncomfortable chair in the waiting area, I pulled my sketchbook out of my backpack. At least I had that with me. I actually had my whole backpack, since I had just gotten home from school when Dad and Poppa said they were headed here. I hadn't even gone inside the house, immediately getting in the car to come too.

Poppa still didn't seem thrilled at the idea of having another kid in the house, but he definitely didn't like the idea of Sarah raising Regal, not with all the evidence that Dad and I have been gathering against her. Granted, it's not like we were stalking her house or anything like that. It was just observations that we noticed that weren't optimal for a child, like all the cursing Sarah does, her drastic mood swings, the physically breaking into our house, the horrible residence she was staying (according to Dad, since I still hadn't see it at all), plus all the stuff she did to me as a kid. Who knows how she treated Regal when no one else was around. Even Poppa couldn't disagree with all that.

Hopefully this lawyer will help them turn our little bit of evidence into a solid case. It'll be hard though, as Poppa kept reminding us. Regal was Sarah's daughter, and the only one of us that she had any relation to was me. But what good was our relationship compared to that of a parent?

Eventually, the door to the small office my parents had gone into opened, and the three of them walked out. I stood, anxiously waiting to hear if there was any good news at all.

"Well, we might just have a chance, bud," Dad said, ruffling my hair a bit. I shrugged his hand off me before quickly flattening my hair again. "Larry's going to look into it for us, and it just might work out in our favor."

I smiled. "That's awesome." It really was. Regal needed a good home. I really hoped we could be that good home for her.

When we were on the way back home, I got a text from Ryan: who's up 4 lazertag 2nite? He had asked that in the group chat with us and the girls. Honestly, that sounded like a lot of fun, even if I've never played before. Actually, doing anything with Ryan just sounded like it would be fun.

Of course, I immediately asked my parents, who agreed. It was Friday, after all. With no school tomorrow, I had more than enough time to do my homework that was due Monday. I rarely ever did homework right after school on Fridays anyway, and they knew that too.

*

I wasn't quite as happy with laser tag as I thought I would be after Ryan and I were put on different teams. I did have Courtney, though, and she was a force to be reckoned with, so maybe we still stood a chance anyway.

The laser tag employee let us into the course once getting us into the weird vest things and showing us how to use the gun. I knew it wasn't a real gun, of course, but just holding it made me nervous.

"Alright," Courtney said over her shoulder as I followed her through a dimly lit maze. "Try not to get shot." She then stopped in a corner and turned around. "And don't you dare let Ryan distract you. He will use that against you. Trust me."

I scoffed. "As if I'd let him. I'm sure I'll be able to score against him, if I figure out how to aim this thing properly." I looked over the gun, not sure what I was expecting to see. Maybe some instructions, or at least a warning label. There was nothing.

An announcement was made, starting the game. I froze, staring at Courtney. This was really happening, wasn't it?

"Stay here until you're comfortable," Courtney said, grabbing my shoulders and physically putting me into the corner. "Keep your back protected. Shoot anyone that comes down either of these paths, okay?"

I nodded. Then she disappeared, running down the left path, her gun up and looking like she was about to take down a whole army.

Distant sounds of lasers going off and little shouts of either glee or disappointment filled the enclosed area. There were other people that we didn't know playing with us, some on our team, some one Ryan and Jaime's. Hopefully they weren't good either or would at least leave me alone.

It wasn't long before someone appeared down one of the two paths I could see from my corner. It was someone on the other team who I didn't recognize. He spotted me, unfortunately, and immediately shot me before I even had time to react.

I stood there, defeated, waiting for the lights on my vest to come back on. During those few seconds, Ryan causally walked up to me, a little smirk on his face. "Hey beautiful," he said, coming to a stop right in front of me. "How are you doing?"

I gestured towards my darkened vest. "Obviously great."

"I can tell." Then he leaned in a kissed me. It was a gentle kiss, one suitable for a public setting, even if we were sort of alone in a dark maze.

Moments later, my vest made that sound that said I was shot again. Ryan ended the kiss, laughing at me. It took me a few seconds to realize it was him who had shot me.

I smacked his arm, not that that did any damage to him. "Ryan! That's cheating! I hate you!"

He just continued laughing. "Not cheating, Sammy. Diversions at its finest. Besides..." He leaned in close to me again. "You don't hate me. You love me."

He disappeared before he could see my blushing face. I hadn't told him that yet, even though I was pretty sure I was quickly falling for him. It wasn't fair how easily he was able to distract me. I thought he'd go easy on me. Apparently not.

For the rest of the game, I made it my personal mission to get Ryan as many times as I could. I even left my corner once I got the hang of shooting people accurately. Of course, I was still shot a ton more times, but at least I was successfully able to shoot both Ryan and Jaime quite a few times too. It actually ended up being a lot of fun.

When the game had finally ended and we were all sitting outside waiting for Jaime's mom to pick us up to drive us all home, I leaned up against Ryan. His arm was around me and my head was on his shoulder. Neither of us were saying anything while the girls had their own conversation on the other bench.

I shifted a little to look up at my boyfriend. "Hey Ryan?" I started, softly.

"Yeah?"

I bit on my lip, unsure if I was ready to say what I had been about to. With a deep breath, I said it anyway, knowing it my heart that I truly meant the words.

"I love you."