I Find Out What Happened

"I'm sorry, Sophie," Fitz mumbled.

"Sorry about what?" I cried. 

Keefe snickered.

"Not helping, Keefe," I shouted.

"If we're thinking about the same thing..." Fitz started. "Something happened, but I didn't want to tell you."

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry," Fitz said hurriedly. "I didn't want you to think that what happened was something that it wasn't. I thought you might blow it out of proportion."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Keefe said. "Fitz keeps all kinds of secrets."

"Fitz?" I whispered.

Let's go somewhere else,  Fitz transmitted.

My bedroom? I asked.

Sure, he responded.

"Bye, Keefe," I said gently. "Thanks for all the help. We're going to go sort things out."

"Sure," Keefe shouted at us as we walked toward the house. "'sort things out'? More like 'make out'."

"Just ignore it," Fitz said, grabbing my arm. I was about ready to fly at his smug grin. "He doesn't know what he's doing."

"Oh, yeah?" I asked with some sass. "Why not?"

"I think he and Biana were playing with our alchemy set when I left, and some chemicals exploded. I think his mind was affected by the fumes. Did you notice how weak Biana was acting? She's usually such a sassy-pants."

I laughed.

"Yeah, that was a bit weird," I agreed. "That makes me feel a little better."

We entered the house.

"But what was he talking about? The secrets?" I asked.

Fitz sighed, and sat me down on the cushy couch.

"Two weeks ago, Keefe and I were with Marella," Fitz started. "We were just helping her get more used to her talent. Keefe left the room to find some Quicksnuff because it was getting a bit out of hand." 

He stopped.

"Aaaaaaaand?" I prompted.

Grimacing, he asked, "I'm sure you know that lots of girls like me, right?"

"Yeah, but Marella told me that she thought you were snobby," I said, confused. "She never said anything about liking you."

"Well, I guess she never told you the truth," he sighed. "When Keefe left, we had a massive explosion of flame. She was entirely engulfed in flames. Not wanting her to come out of the explosion singed and naked, I put my cloak around her. It helped smother the flames."

He stopped again.

"That's it?" I asked. "You put your cloak around her, and it looked like you were hugging?"

"No," Fitz paused. "She told me 'thanks', and right as Keefe came back in the room, she reached up and kissed me on the cheek."

"What?!" I shouted. "MARELLA REDEK YOU LITTLE-"

"WHOA!" Fitz cut me off. "Calm down."

"I honestly don't think she really liked you," I said. 

"I know," Fitz agreed. "But she's always been jealous that you could pick from lots of admirers, and none of the guys like her."

He blushed a little at the last part of his sentence.

So did I.

"But I think she was trying to start a fight between you, me, and Keefe because she did it right as Keefe re-entered the room," Fitz hurried to explain.

"I think it's time to pay Miss Marella Redek a visit," I said angrily. 

"Wait until morning," Fitz said, taking my hand. "Can we have tonight?"

I looked at his teal eyes, pleading me to stay with him.

I sighed. 

How could I say no to that? I thought.

"All right," I agreed. "It's too late anyway."

I snuggled close to Fitz, and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Love you," I heard him whisper as I drifted off to sleep.