Deli

Paul was 24 years old. Lindsey was infatuated with him, and as much as she talked to him, she could never get through to him. It is not as if he was interested in anyone else, she was honestly the only person who continually tried talking to him. Most people just gave up after a few attempts, but not Lindsey. Today was no different than the rest.

           Paul worked in the office building across the street from the deli that Lindsey owned, and every day for lunch Paul would come in and order the same thing, an Italian Sub, extra cheese. It had honestly gotten to the point where, if she had wanted to, Lindsey could have the sub ready and wrapped fresh for Paul to just take right when he came in, but she liked to use that time to try and talk to him. And like clockwork, Paul entered the deli.

           Hey there, you want the usual? As usual? Said Lindsey, with a nervous chuckle

           Paul nodded his head, Yeah, he muttered.

           No need to be so down, I don't exactly know what you do over there in that big fancy building over there, but I'm sure it can't be that bad, now can it?

           Paul just shrugged his shoulders, not saying a word

           Eh? That's it? Still not saying much of anything are you? Oh well, maybe tomorrow, huh?

           She wrapped his sub and handed it to him. You know the price, no need for me to be repeating to myself now is there?

           Paul took out a few crumpled dollars and some change from his right pocket and handed them to her. She did not bother counting it, he always had exact change.

           Thank you, very much, muttered Paul as he began to walk towards the door.

           Hey wait! Lindsey called out after him, do you listen to any music Paul?

           Paul looked back, nodded his head, and then quickly walked out the door, and turned right.

           He still ain't saying much huh? Said a voice coming from the back.

           Nope, he sure ain't Jimmy.

           Jimmy was Lindsey's employee. His job is basically to keep the kitchen clean and to help make the sandwiches.

           You know what Linds', I still don't see what you see in him, it ain't like he ever says nothin', and with a mug like that, he should consider himself lucky a gal like you is even talking to him.             Oh Jimmy, you just know how to make a girl blush now don’t ya? Honestly, is that how you got those southern girls panties all wet?

           Oh Linds', them some harsh words, jus' askin' some questions here, and givin' my reasonings.

           O.K., fair enough, if you must know, it's his cold dark eyes, I mean you probably can't see them cuz your back there but yeah, his eyes just pierce my soul. She said with a sarcastic tone Jimmy noticed right away

           You know you don't have to be such a smart ass, that boy never done look at you for longer than a few seconds

           Lindsey did not respond to that, she just sat at the counter, looking at the doors of the office building across the street, waiting for the next time Paul would come in.

           Paul got out of work at Five p.m. Monday through Friday. After work he would walk to his home, which was three blocks north of the office building he was working at. Finding the job he had was great for Paul, it meant he did not need to buy a car, let alone drive one. He enjoyed the nice walks back and forth from work, especially in the autumn season.