Chapter Two

We'd been riding almost continuously through the night. Once or twice we took turns and kept watch while the other slept for an hour or so, but other than that, we barely had any breaks. 

Wall Sina came into view just as the sun was beginning to rise. I couldn't help but focus my gaze over the wall, to where the sun was just beginning to peak over the smooth grey stone that seperated us from the rest of the world, the beams of light traveling in all different directions, illuminating rooftops with their orange glow. 

"Beautiful," I mumble to myself. 

"Yes, I agree. Almost as beautiful as you," Levi tells me in a small voice. 

I look over at him in surprise, my face completely red by now. He isn't making eye contact with me as his cheeks are flushed pink as well. I almost laugh at his very not Levi-ish behavior, and at his attempt at being slick.

I lead my horse next to his and lean over, kissing his cheek, "Thanks, you're so sweet," I whisper into his ear, causing his blush to deepen. 

We remain in a comfortable silence for a few more minutes, before we reach the opening of Wall Sina. A few of the Garrison Regiment stand on guard, but upon a flash of some paperwork, they let us in with out an objection. Military Police crowd the streets along with the civilians, many sending us either curious, admiring or disgusted glances once realizing we're of the Scout Regiment. 

Another blonde posh looking Military Police member stops us in our tracks, along with a darker haired member standing beside him. 

"Follow us," the darker haired one tells us, well more like orders. 

We exchange wary glances, and Levi seems a bit pissed off at being ordered around, but we adhere to his order and follow with out a word. 

He leads us to a fancy looking building and opens a large, worn out wooden door. 

An assortment of Commanders, Corporals, government officials, and other higher ups are seated along a dark slab of wood known as a (very fancy) table. They all look up at us in greeting, and once we take our seats, a grey haired man with dark eyes clears his throat. 

"We'd like to discuss your recent program with the Scout Regiment," he begins in a serious voice. 

I nod, indicating for him to continue.

"We'd like to decide a test day, where we will finally see if this program is beginning to work, or if it is completely useless. Preferably soon," his explanation is formal and quick. 

I nod again, completely agreeing that there were indeed many cadets ready, as well as the fact that we needed to see if all my efforts were actually paying off. 

"We felt four days time would leave enough room for preparations and planning," he finishes, asking our opinon. 

I contemplate over the assortment of supplies that the regiment will need if we are to venture outside. I knew that we had enough supplies, and the planning for formations and battle tactics had been thought through a while ago. After thinking for a bit, and having a silent conversation in a single glance with Levi, we agree. 

"Then it is settled. You, and whomever you feel ready, will venture out into Titan Territory."

"Yes, sir," I reply. 

****

We returned to the base after discussing a few more matters about supplies, training, etc... 

Upon our return, the sun had already set, and most everyone was asleep. We put our horses in the stables and made our way to bed. 

"I wonder how they'll do..." I murmured to Levi as he lay next to me.

"They're a good group, I'm not expecting to many deaths," he replied in his meant to be reassuring choise of words. 

"Hm," I sigh and flip over, facing away from him, and now beginning to imagine losing one of the cadets, and/or the dogs. I've grown attached to most of our memebers after becoming a Corporal and training all of them for so long...

After a moment, Levi places an arm around my stomach to my surprise, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you," he says quietly, nuzzling his face into my back, his voice coming out muffled. 

I smiled softly and shifted my position again, so that I could return his hug, "It's alright, I know you were just trying to make me feel better," I mumble, burying my face in the crook of his neck, and almost giggling at the cuteness of a tired Levi. 

He squeezes me tightly for a moment, "I love you," he says in a voice just above a whisper. 

My face is flushed as I pull away and meet his eyes, his cheeks have reddened as well, "I love you too," I smile and run a hand through his silky hair.

He sighs content, and soon after we are both sound asleep, our legs entangled and our noses touching, our breathes mingling at our bodies' closeness. 

******

The next few days were spent preparing. We'd chosen a little more than half of the group that would be venturing outside to see the world, as well as a few older members of the regiment who weren't paired with dogs, just to have some experienced members to lead the newbies. The base had grown more quiet during the days leading to our departure, it seems the cadets had finally been hit with the fact that they'd trained all this time to fight real, live titans. 

On the night before, the cadets threw a party, with some of the senior members joining in as well. Levi and I sat under the replacement tree that I'd chosen so many months ago... to get away from the first one. The first had memories around it, to painful to recall... most involving Petra... 

I sat thinking about all those days that I'd come to relax by that other tree, and all those days someone had come to call me back, scoldingly and in their dull monotone voice (*cough* *cough* Levi).

And then I thought about this tree, and all the memories it held. 

This was where I'd returned my feelings to Levi. Upon thinking about it, it'd almost been a year since then. 

I remember all of the meetings that Levi was forced into after the many deaths we'd recieved, and later I remember being left behind as many Scout Regiment members ventured into Wall Sina, going through with a plan that Armen had made about capturing the female titan. 

I had known all about the plan, but due to my injuries, and Fala's, Levi barred me from going. I had been more than angry, I was absolutely irate...  I wouldn't even talk to him during the few days leading up to their departure. Of course, the night before, I'd ventured to his room and with out a word, we lay together as I hugged him. It was my way of saying 'goodbye' and 'good luck' and 'I'm sorry' with out being cheesy and annoying. I knew Levi had much preferred the silence anyways. 

The days that many of the Regiment were away, I spent sitting under this tree with Fala, sighing and staring at the sky, worrying. 

When they returned, many wore stony expressions, and most stoic of all was Levi. His eyes were tired, and his posture was looser than usual, his face expressionless, but I could tell he was beyond stressed. 

I later learned that the mission had ended with the girl encasing herself, and us not being able to get her out, and therefore not being able to gain information. 

This was when I'd been contacted, and when the planning for our canine squadron began. 

And now we're here, finally testing out the plan that had been made all those months ago.