t h i r t y - s i x

I should have just gone shopping by myself.

Sadie made me try on about a hundred different things. She said that I had to match Millie and I had to look my best. I just wanted a simple black and white suit but that wasn't going to happen.

"She's wearing black and gold, so we should get you a gold tie or something."

I sighed as Sadie searched through the many ties that were hanging on a rack.

"Why do I have to match her? Couldn't she match me?"

Sadie gave me a look and rolled her eyes. She held a gold tie up to me and shook her head before putting it back.

"I mean, what if I wanted to wear blue or green? Do I not get a say in this?"

Sadie sighed.

"Finnie, you're wearing gold and black and that's it."

She shoved some clothes into my arms and pushed me towards the dressing rooms.

"And come out to show me when you're done."

After many more different combinations of suit jackets, pants, and button up shirts, Sadie had decided on black pants, a long sleeve black button up, and a gold bowtie.

"I still feel like you need more gold."

I looked down at the bowtie, the only article of clothing I had on that wasn't black.

"I know!"

She disappeared into the store some more as I stood there awkwardly outside of the dressing room. I was so nervous for this dance. It was next weekend and I didn't even know how to dance. That is what you did at these things, right? I wonder if Millie knew how to dance. Maybe I could ask Sadie to teach me.

"Here, turn around."

I tried to see what Sadie had but she turned my body before I could. It felt like something pulled my pants up and then Sadie came back around, clipping two things to the front of my pants.

"Perfect!"

She stepped back to seemingly admire her work. I shook my head.

"I'm not wearing suspenders."

"Uh, yes you are. You need more gold to match Millie."

I unclipped them from my pants and held them out to her.

"Sadie, no."

"But Finn! I thought you wanted Millie to have a good night."

I furrowed my eyebrows at the redhead.

"What does this have to do with that?"

"She won't have a good night if you don't look good. This is what's going to make you look good."

I sighed. Anything for Millie.

"I really hate you sometimes."

Sadie smiled widely knowing that she won. I changed out of the clothes I had on and paid before we walked out of the store.

"I have a surprise for you now."

I raised my eyebrows at her.

"What is it?"

"I can't tell you it or else it's not a surprise anymore, you nut."

I groaned. I hate surprises.

"Okay cover your eyes. No peaking, and don't cheat."

I sighed and did as she said as she started to lead me to wherever we were going. We had only walked for a good minute or two before a door was opened and a little bell went off. I was ushered inside and the first thing I heard was the sound of something buzzing.