Real Life Story

Two weeks later, everyone is at school with the building decorated for the school formal. Kalina is getting her books from her locker. As she closes it, Bianca walks up to her.

"Hey Bianca."

"Hey."

They have a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry." They both say at the same time.

"Wait why?" Bianca said.

"I said some things that I didn't mean. I just don't picture you with anyone else but me. You running to Harper made me think about a lot, and when you said that to her, it just made me feel worse."

"I never should've told Harper those things. You're everything to me Kali. You know that."

Kalina lets out a big smile then desperatly kisses Bianca just as Harper walks in the building and everyone turns and looks at her. Kalina and Bianca stop kissing and see Harper.

"C'mon let's go." Bianca says as she takes Kalina's hand and walks to class.

On their way to class, Kalina stops.

"What's wrong?" Bianca said.

"Can we ditch Mr. Steele today?"

"Why?"

Kalina covers Bianca's eyes and walks.

"Where are we?"

Kalina removes her hands.

"Why are we on the roof?"

"I like the view."

"I took you for a girl that likes water."

"Of course you did. I think I'm ready to tell you why me and my mom don't talk anymore."

"Oh, ok."

"My mom is super traditional, and when a mermaid starts developing, they have to get married."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I started a little bit earlier."

"That explains your boobs."

Kalina blushes.

"My mom was the first to notice this, so she found me a man named Akamu, the richest man in Hawaii. Everyone wanted to marry him. I was 13, I didn't want to get married, especially to someone that I didn't know."

"That's understandable."

"Then one day, I told her I wanted to wait a little longer, but she didn't take it well."

"Oh my God."

"She went nuts. She also made the wedding date closer. We were supposed to wait 6 months, but she moved to the night after, and if I didn't marry him, she'll disown me."

"What? All that because you didn't want to marry someone?"

"Like I said, super traditional. After that, I turned to my dad, who left my mom, and he didn't want me to get married either, especially because he didn't like Akamu."

"So what did he do?"

"He made me stage my death."

"What? So your mom thinks your dead?"

"Yeah, and other family and friends. My dad made it look like Akamu killed me. He sends me letters occasionally. One recent letter said that-"

Kalina starts to tear up.

"Said what?" Bianca says holding her.

"My mom robbed Akamu for basically all his money and was forced to move far away from Hawaii."

"Oh my God, Kalina." Bianca says giving her a hug and Kalina crying on her shoulders.

"I'm a fucked up person." Kalina said.

"No don't say that?"

"Why not? I ruined his life all because poor Kalina didn't want to get married."

"You didn't ruin his life, your parents did. What I learned about you is that you don't let anyone or anything get in your way. You can't be mad at the person you are. You were so young. You had every right to not wanna be married. Freedom is for everyone Kalina, and sometimes you have to fight for it. That's exactly what you did."

Kalina takes a deep breath.

"Is that why you got so mad when I ran to save Harper?"

"I already left so many people behind, and I wouldn't want anyone to do the same to me." Kalina says drying her tears.

"I'll never leave you for Harper. I'll never leave you for anyone." Bianca says with her hands in her hair.

Kalina starts to kiss Bianca. Time goes by and Kalina and Bianca are in Bianca's room kissing. Bianca then gets on top of her.

"Is this ok?" Bianca said.

"Yes." Kalina says laying down.

They continue kissing. They take of each others shirts and embrace.