Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Audrey could scarcely think because of the thirst and hunger raging inside of her. As well as the fear that Rodger would come running across the plains, engulfed in flames to exact his revenge on her. Or that someone would find their campsite and come searching for his murderer.....

It was approaching night, Audrey had been wandering the wilderness since the night before, and she was losing hope that she'd even survive to see another morning, let alone her daughter. 

While Audrey was in no hurry to die, she had to admit that the lack of thought would be somewhat welcome after the tumultuous rage and whirlwind her tired mind had been attempting to wrap around. 

Rodger had killed Alexander. It had been Rodger who had taken her hardworking and loving husband away from her. It had been Rodger who had taken Penelope's warm and caring father away from her. Rodger, who had been the one to bring them the news of Alexander's death, had been the very one who had caused it! Audrey had allowed the man to hold and comfort her as she had cried and all the while it had been the hands of her husband's murderer rubbing her back so soothingly! 

Despite that, the most unforgivable thing that bastard had done was take Penelope. Audrey's blood boiled anew at the thought. 

She hoped he had died in that fire. 

Audrey wondered what it meant for her soul when she didn't shudder or become sickened by the thought of killing a person. All she could think was that she wanted him to feel the pain he had caused to her and she knew that if she hadn't killed him, if he had lived and Audrey found her daughter in pain or hurt--Audrey would go back and ensure that she did the job right next time. 

Audrey's thoughts were interrupted when she stumbled over a rock in the growing darkness and tumbled to the ground. Pain radiated through her knee and she angrily slammed her hand into the dirt. Just as Audrey was attempting to get back on her aching feet and weak legs, she heard wheels approaching her. 

Glancing backward, Audrey realized a cart was coming across the grassland behind her. A man sat up front wearing a dapper suit, a top hat and a broad grin. He had a gap between his teeth but he seemed friendly enough as he brought the cart to a stop and tipped his hat to her. 

"Good day, miss. I can't help but notice that ya seem to be havin' a bit of a hard time, there. Would ya like a ride?" 

Audrey blinked several times and wondered if she should trust him or run. His cart was painted with all kind of promises about a new remedy straight from Ireland that would cure all your ailments for only two dollars a bottle. 

"I can see ya seem a bit hesitant to trust me, but I can assure ya, I mean ya no harm. Grandy is still a bit of a walk away and I have food and water should ya be in need of either," the man promised her, his Irish accent thick on his tongue. 

Audrey nodded, the allure of food and water too great to ignore. "I could certainly use a bit of help," she admitted. "My name is Audrey." 

The Irishman hopped down and pulled off his hat revealing shockingly bright red hair. He held out his hand and gave her a wink. "My mama named me Fergus but no one calls me by that name. Ya can call me Irish, pretty lass." 

***

Audrey found that Irish was a friendly enough man, though his wild tales were clearly fabricated and he was quite eccentric and full of more energy than she had ever seen in one person. 

It was their second night together and he seemed certain they'd reach Grandy before the next night. As he heated a can of beans over the fire, he studied Audrey carefully.