Framed

I wait for Cecilia to return. The entire, long night passes before anything exciting happens. Even then, it is only a bird flying through the trees that awakens my senses.

I waited and waited for Cecilia. What have I done to deserve being tied up like this?

I laid like that for hours. Perhaps a day or two, at least I think so. My perception of time is off with all the pain radiating through me. Agony stretches the hours.

Finally, someone emerges from the house. The angry man comes out with a straight stick that glimmers silver.

I watch. He makes his way over to the chicken coop. I hear ranting and screaming before he emerges again. He points the stick at my doghouse.

Only then do I see Cecilia. She runs at him, crying, and screaming,  "Daddy, no! Don't! Stop!"

The man backhands her and she falls to the gravel. I growl at him and pull at my chain. I lunge and snap in vain. He points the stick again.

It was because of the chickens. The man, he thinks it was me. And because of that, I die, don't I?

I hear a familiar bang that radiates from the woods from time to time. The only difference, this was louder. I close my eyes.

When I opened them, Cecilia was in front of me, her life blood dripping from her shirt.

I growl and bite at the man when he goes near her.  She strokes my fur weakly and whispers, "No, Raven. Good boy. Good boy. . ." Her hand stops and falls limply at her side. I whimper and cry as I try to get her up.

The man shouts and points the stick again. The shot rings again.

The last thing I see, is my girl smiling at me.