Operation: Lilith

X.

So yes. Cups of coffee were like a red thread running through their relationship. Some of them were good, memories of others stung, but it was undeniable. Matt decided it needed to be considered.

What he was about to do was crazy. It terrified him and he was convinced he would rather face Wilson Fisk or the Hand all over again than doing it; or dealing with possible consequences if it went to shit. On the other hand it felt like he didn't have a choice. He had lived a dream about his world without her by his side and it was a terrible world.

Instead of passing over her rooftop, he slid to her apartment, just to kiss her forehead without any intention of waking her up, because he was a coward, fearing she would be able to read him, rather avoiding her lately, a complete opposite of what he wanted to do.

She blindly reached for his cheek and her voice sounded as if she was smiling when she murmured whether he was okay, "yes", was he sure about that, "yes", and whether he was staying, "no", followed by a grumpy sound and quiet "be careful". That moment, he knew there was nothing more right. It even plucked up his courage, his hopes rising – it would go just fine. The feeling lasted about a half an hour, before he panicked again.

The Devil of Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil, he was doing things alone. Matt Murdock? Sometimes, when it came to the dangerous stuff. But that was mostly in the past. Lately, Vera had been there. He knew he could lean on her, finding hope, support, safety, comfort, encouragement and help. It was scaring the shit out of him, trusting people, but she made it look so easy. With this, he couldn't go for help to her though. Not because it was dangerous (he had learned in rather hard way it was not wise to keep secrets from her no matter how dangerous they were, it backfired), but because it was about her.

Most of the time, Matt hated making promises, because he had a spectacular talent for breaking them. Vera... he wished to promise her everything and wanted really badly to be able to keep his word to her and he always tried to weight his words carefully when making promises to her. He wanted to make one more, a sacred one. A vow.

Standing in front of the café Vera worked in, he took a deep breath and made sure once more that the person he was looking for was there. He swallowed his worries and pride, walking in. The fear and delight were dizzying.

Feeling unknown weakness in his knees, he approached the counter, making sure it was indeed her he was facing and anybody else.

"Hi. Can I steal you for a moment?"

---

His next cup of coffee eventually ended up on the floor, but Matt couldn't find himself to care.

-----Terri-----

Do you remember those sweet times when you thought there weren't many things that can throw you off balance? Me neither... Terri answered to herself as Matthew Murdock, a.k.a. the only blind lawyer she knew, a.k.a. Daredevil, a.k.a. her best friend's boyfriend, entered her workplace – the café named My Daily Dose of Caffeine. Terri wasn't particularly close to him; they didn't talk that much, even though they did have some history.

Veronica fucking-trouble-magnet Machackova was another case – she had just waltzed into the café one day, gotten the job, befriended (or was befriended by?) Terri and then the world had started spinning a whole lot faster than before. Meet-cute with Matt, meet-cute no.2 and 3, gun at head, broken ribs and all that jazz, cheesiest love story in the world. A little bit more blood, little bit more gunshot wounds, katana wounds and broken hearts, kinky costume, god knows what, and they were right here, Murdock standing by the counter, observing Terri – who happened to be Vera's best friend – with his freaky super-senses .