VI - He Who Flies the Ram - Part I

Princess Tharalea

Piotr led the group to a tall shrub so that Hercules could transform.

Most of the citizens halted whatever they were doing, curious of what they were about to witness. Their hands that were holding charred sticks, torn flags, and burning torches hang dead in the air, as they gasped in awe at the scene in front of them. 

Excited, they whistled and called out for more people.

The mob of Wolgarian was initially found holding planks with words like "Stop Making Us Feel Like There's A War When There's None" written on them. But as they saw the automaton flying across the realm, they dropped the planks. Their livid expression was replaced by a comical flabbergasted look. They knelt on all fours on the dried floor before lifting their hands skywards and then earthwards, praying at Hercules as if he was a god.

"Oh, the miracle has happened," said a man holding a hoe caked with black lumpy thingies that Tharalea assumed were cow's feces. "This beast must be sent by a sorcerer to destroy Ares." The other citizens cheered and applauded at this assumption.

The quest seekers let out a bubble of laughter but their euphoria didn't last long. When they were up in the sky, the thief had long fled to the far edge of the horizon. Piotr pressed the green button on Hercules' head, and the automaton accelerated.

Sitting behind Piotr, Tharalea could still get a good view of the winged ram. It had two creamy coloured horns that bent to form two big "Cs", pierced with two bronze rings. Its black wool was so fluffy that Tharalea could imagine the comfy of lying among it.

"MEEEEEK!"

The ram turned around, blowing a kiss at Tharalea, its lips were a healthy sheen of pink. Its wonderful physique, however, didn't win any favour from Hercules. The ram flapped its black massive wings and zigzagged in the sky, trying to shake Hercules away, but failed. After minutes of chasing after it, Hercules finally trapped it. The ram screeched and showed off its two front teeth, which weren't really intimidating. Tharalea could even hear Hercules scoff.

Now that Tharalea was looking at the boy face to face, she couldn't help but gag at how gorgeous he looked. He wore a black V-neck shirt over a grey jumper, which was topped with a big black coat. His pants and boots were of matching colour with his shirt, coiled with thick trinkets. Tharalea wondered would he ever feel hot and uncomfortable wearing so many clothes at such humid weather. The boy regarded Tharalea with his kaleidoscopic eyes, and Tharalea almost fell off Hercules. The boy steered the ram so that its face was aligned with Hercules; its clawed feet swam in the air, paddling at the passing clouds.

"Good day, fellow travelers. Do you need any help in sending your messages to any friends or family?" He rolled up his sleeves and Tharalea hiccupped. A black Caduceus tattoo — a winged rod where two snakes entwined together — was drawn on his left arm.

"You are from Hermes' bloodline?" Tharalea asked. The boy flashed a row of white teeth at her as a token of acknowledgment, and that almost made Tharalea's bones turn rubbery. 

He looks so cool. He's the total opposite of Piotr. Piotr seemed to read Tharalea's thought and he cleared his throat. Tharalea woke up from her trance.

Her hand migrated to her waist as she asked, "Why did you steal Ares' necklace? How did you even do that?" Her heart stuttered in admiration, admiring his thievery without her knowing it. "You have to follow us to his palace. We need to return it for a trade."

"Oh, a trade! I love it! But I didn't know anything about Ares' necklace. I didn't even know the God of War wears accessories." The boy shrugged his shoulders. "Anyway, it's a pleasure meeting all of you, especially you, young lady." He regarded Tharalea. "The name is Rexon. Hello and goodbye. Dorinda!" Rexon yanked the rope binding around the ram's neck, intending to fly away, but Hercules blocked their way. Rexon raised his hand to the air.